Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

erratic 300 idle

follow along with me as i DID NOT do this myself nor was i around when he did, just trying to help a buddy who's lets just say a little less mechanically inclined.

so he got the bright idea he was going to bolt up the 250/60x timing advance kit http://www.teammotoracing.com/?cat=77 to his 300. well needless to say it didnt work. said he put it in the water, fired it up and it almost launched him back up onto the cement launch ramp. soon as you fire it up rpm's shoot to 3500ish and slowly keep climbing up till 4500ish when we just shut it off.

after he called me and told me what he had done i obviously told him to take that shiz off its not for the 300 and unless he's got some deep pockets i wouldn't be the first to play with the timing on a 300. well he took it back off but it still idles up like crazy.... does it on the trailer in the water and on the hose. checked all the vacuum lines, hose's to the TB/ICer, map sensor and such as thats what i thought he somehow knocked off on accident but everything seems normal. doesn't throw any codes or anything. all i can figure is he burnt something up in the ECU but curious if anyone had any other ideas before it goes back to the dealer for the last ditch effort

mike

Throttle cable kinked somewhere? It wouldn't take much of a kink to get the RPMs to zoom up pretty quick. JB

+1
    wasnt one of the know all young bucks was it lmao some people will try anything good luck is the rotor damaged?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Throttle cable kinked somewhere? It wouldn't take much of a kink to get the RPMs to zoom up pretty quick. JB
    start there,
    once you reset the ignition can you hear the cable hit the full throttle and then hit the home stopper on the densor mounted to the hull.

Mine goes tap , tap when i do the full motion

Waz

Banned User
    +1
    haha no it wasn't any poster on here. he doesn't even really check out the site just knows of it. i forgot to mention we did give the once over on the throttle cable, went as far as to take the cable off the sensor to make sure it was fully closed. although i didn't think about the rotor being damaged ill have to give that a look-see

+1
    im guessing rotor or wiring plug

Banned User
    +1
    An update:

Well before i had a chance to get over there and give it a look myself he descided to take it to the stealership.... Apparently the throttle cable he already checked 2 times was infact the culprit. How you jack the throttle cable while installing a timing plate is beyond me, some people just shouldnt work on ski's plain and simple.
    Thanks for the suggestions anyways!
    Mike

Banned User
    +1
    In any-case his stupidity saved him because if his ski would of ran normal it would not of ran long for long with the timing mod.

Banned User
    +1
    Hes tryin to beat me in some cc racing. Id bet he'll put it back on real sneeky like now that he knows it wast the cause of thr problem.

+1
    couldnt agree more with this post, how many times a week does this type of thing happen here, some guys really are playing with fire and when things go wrong we are supposed to know what they did to f%$# it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    An update:

Well before i had a chance to get over there and give it a look myself he descided to take it to the stealership.... Apparently the throttle cable he already checked 2 times was infact the culprit. How you jack the throttle cable while installing a timing plate is beyond me, some people just shouldnt work on ski's plain and simple.
    Thanks for the suggestions anyways!
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information