Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2008 STX-15F Speedo Problem

I was riding yesterday going off some nice sized waves, water somehow got into my dash meter and it lit up random parts of the LCD. Shortly after (within 5 minutes) the meter screen stopped illuminating all together. The ski was running just fine but was tripped into SLO mode. Is my dash meter completely shot if salt water finds a way inside? Is there any way to get the ski out of SLO mode if the dash meter is shot?

I assume the answer is no to my question about SLO mode. Anyway if this ever happens to anyone else, the remedy is to change the multifunction meter. The meter seems to control the FPO / SLO functions along with the alarms for battery and oil.

+1
    The rubber seal on the back of the display gets old and hard, then it won't seal very well. It should be covered with 3M 5200.

Once water has gotten inside, about the only thing you can do is warm it with a hair dryer and hope you can get the moisture out. Water will corrode the inside rather quickly, especially when power is applied. Salt water is certain to destroy it.

The rubber seal was fine, water had gotten in from underneath, my ski had flipped at one point. It was a quick flip no more than 30-40 seconds, but enough time for water to seap in the display meter. The salt water destroyed it.

When I replaced the meter with a brand new one, I used black silicone under the rubber gasket and I siliconed the back of the display where the wires are with a bunch of silicone (just in case). The dash meters are expensive.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Also check to make sure that it is not too tight in the cowl, I remember reading that if its over tightened that it will flex enough to let water or moisture in.

Sean

The rubber seal or over tightening has noting to do with this meter problem.
    The 2011+ 15F has a new support/mount metal brackt behind the meter to address this issue. The bracket P/N is 25088-3714 and fits of previous year 12F and 15F, a good investment for your expensive meter.

If you shake enough your bad meter that's got water in it, you can see them through the screen.

meangreenman is right about the new 2011+ 15F. Apparently Kawasaki new there was an issue with the 15F meter and redesigned the bracket. My meter had condensation in it I wish I had taken pictures to post but you could actually see the condensation under the clear plastic and the warning light.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    The rubber seal or over tightening has noting to do with this meter problem.
    The 2011+ 15F has a new support/mount metal brackt behind the meter to address this issue. The bracket P/N is 25088-3714 and fits of previous year 12F and 15F, a good investment for your expensive meter.

If you shake enough your bad meter that's got water in it, you can see them through the screen.
    For those of us that do not have the new bracket is there another way to fix this? (hint hint, meangreenman please post washer fix pix please) A mod should make this a sticky. These meters are expensive to replace and there are now 2 fixes for them.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Has anyone tried removing the faulty meters to see if they go back into fpo? My 04 does not have slo mode so I am not worried (that and I have an am ecu.) I just bought replacement gauges and made a cluster for them.

Sean

Removing the meter does NOT take the SLO mode out from the ECU because the SLO mode is excecuted by opening the ground circuit. Removing meter means SLO. You need to close/ground the circuit in order to go back to FPO mode. See SM page 14-14 of the 2004~ 15F or similar models.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information