Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

muratic acid to remove lake scum?

A friend of mine owns a body shop and ran into him the other day and told him i gave up racing and bought a boat and jet ski, we bs'd for awhile about maybee painting part of my boat and he said to get some muratic acid and dilute it down with water and spray it on the bottom of my boat and ski and it will take the scum and residue off it. Anyone else ever tried or heard of this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dauer33 View Post
    A friend of mine owns a body shop and ran into him the other day and told him i gave up racing and bought a boat and jet ski, we bs'd for awhile about maybee painting part of my boat and he said to get some muratic acid and dilute it down with water and spray it on the bottom of my boat and ski and it will take the scum and residue off it. Anyone else ever tried or heard of this?
    It's the active ingredient in MaryKate's hull cleaner. It will ruin your trailer. You will need to cover the trailer with plastic bags or something else that will not corrode. Wear a mask or some other form of breathing protection and eyes....

Banned User
    +1
    Dawn dish soap and a scrub brush should do it

+1
    The workshop toilet bowl cleaner. Or snobowl toilet bowl cleaner....period!!!

MSRXP's got it right, don't forget gloves and a long sleeve shirt & pants too, muratic acid is very strong stuff, if you breathe a whiff, or get a drop on you, you'll be hurting. It'll ruin the galvanizing on your trailer no matter how fast or how much you rinse it off...but it really works well for stubborn scum stains, I used to use it in a bug sprayer for getting rid of scum line on boats prior to powerwashing at seasons end.

Don't breathe. Have your buddy constantly spraying you and the boat & trailer with the water hose while you're spraying/scrubbing the acid on them. Kinda like you were on fire. At least it worked for us kids back in the day. OSHA? What's that?
    John

muriatic is nasty stuff be careful and even a sealed bottle stored in a shed can rust everything in site
    I would find something else like ducky or whatever

+1
    BINGO....no doubt this works. I work with muratic acid with my pool and to bleach concrete. That stuff is a BEAST and will F'K some sh*t up in a hurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by b_dolla44 View Post
    The workshop toilet bowl cleaner. Or snobowl toilet bowl cleaner....period!!!

I use Starbright hull cleaner from Wal Mart and it works great.

Banned User
    +1
    I would think something that strong like acid would severely dull the surface of the hull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information