'96 700 sl holed hull; repair it or part it out???

I'm in a bit of a quandry about what to do with my '96 sl 700, last year while my wife was riding, the motor mounts broke loose, and engine and driveshaft moved foward causing the prop to rip a 1" X 4" hole thru the hull. She was able to get it to shallow water before it sunk completely, I pulled it out, rinsed it out (salt water) and was able to get it fired up again. I "pickeled" the engine, pulled it out, and put it away for the rest of the year. I was planning on repairing the hole, but never got around to it. Now I just got 2 new (to me) genesis i's, so I'm thinking about parting out the 700. I just put a battery to the old motor, and it still turns over fine, but compression is low 95 psi front cyl., 75 psi rear cyl. I guess the real question is ... What's the engine worth in it's present condition? Would I be better off breaking it down to piece parts, or leaving it intact? and Is there any intrest in these parts?
    Thanks, Kev

+1
    So the impeller ate into the pump tunnel? That's a bit of a tricky place to do fiberglass work. There needs to be a completely smooth surface to prevent cavitation as the water gets sucked through that passage. I've repaired hulls using glass mat and epoxy resin with great results, but I've never touched a pump tunnel.

Since you have two new skis and the engine is suspect I think I'd lean toward parting out the ski and focusing your efforts on the Genesis boats. The SL is definitely a much more playful hull than the Genesis, but you're going to sink a lot of money into the hull and engine to get it back in good condition.

KJ

+1
    Any pics of the damage to the hull? I'd like to see that.. Johns right, thats a tricky area to glass and it would have to be done perfect to seal everything and have everything match up again.. The motor needs some work too unfortunately. i would part it out and work on the other skis if the tunnel is wasted.

Yea, I was thinking about the difficulty in repairing, problems with cavitation didn't occur to me. Is it better to sell the engine whole, or break it up to sell piece by piece? I'm not really out to make the most money, just to recoup some loss. What would be a good price to ask for the complete motor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by capt.coconut View Post
    , the motor mounts broke loose, and engine and driveshaft moved foward causing the prop to rip a 1" X 4" hole thru the hull.
    The pump and impeller are mounted seperate from the motor/drive shaft. The engine moving will not cause the impeller to hit the hull.

Any water in the engine is not good and your taking a chance if you don't dissasemble and inspect.With the compression low -it's already time for a rebuild.

I'd part it out-sell what ever is good seperately.

If the pump and impeller are seperate, what would have caused a hole like that?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by capt.coconut View Post
    If the pump and impeller are seperate, what would have caused a hole like that?
    A crash?

Nope, not a crash, wife was riding,(if she crashed it she would have been more shaken up than she was) said it was running really good, till it started to bog down and started sinking! No other apperent damage, I'll have to post up some pix. I can't imagine anything getting through the grate with such force to punch a hole in the hull...and launching the motor foward with enough force to rip all 4 motor mounts.

Banned User
    +1
    Unless you already had a few bad motor mounts and the last good one finally let go.........That could explain it.

Thread Information