Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Pressure Relief Revisited AGAIN....

Ok.... I know there are lots of topics on this subject. It seems most concentrate on cracking pressures etc. My question is in regards to my specific application. It seems to be, most individuals run the valves with variable cracking pressures relative to setup as a result of trying not to lose holeshot. On my GPSHO conversion setup with the HO pump and SS 800 grate (which isn't known for the best hookup anyway)why would I even need the valves. I have the 2" spacer drilled and tapped for the lines that would generally run to the valves. I've read where similar results were achieved by testing valves that crack open at 5psi all the way to 30psi. Knowing I'm not after holeshot, which is obvious of my pump setup, what would I benefit from running the valves inline over just running the pressure relief lines out the back with no valves. I would think 5psi or pressure would be close to, if not already, generated at idle almost. With that said, I would think just running the pressure relief lines (2) out the back would yield the same results overall relevant to what I'm trying to achieve as well as be a safer alternative not having to worry about them malfunctioning. If I am missing a piece to the puzzle please let me know. I use this website as a tool and am definitely open to any suggestions or thoughts from you guys. Thanks in advance for your responses.

+1
    Without the Check Valves you will not even get on plane, 8K blowing mayonnaise out the back. Cracking psi means nothing vacuum on takeoff will seal the valves.

+1

+1
    I would think the ski would boil the water regardless if I were to put the throttle to the stop from a dead start. I'm not doubting you by any means, but I might have to see for myself...just to see for myself basically. I like learning from experience, but aggain, this forum really helps when it comes to things like this. I wouldn't think the volume of water being flowed from a 155mm pump would be affected THAT much by two reliefs, or to the point the ski wouldn't plane at least. Again, please take no offense to my response, just I really have to see for myself. I never planned on basically trying to run the ski hard from a dead stop, I thought not having the valves wouldn't affect the initial hit that much. Any other inout is still appreciated. Thanks again.

Again, please take no offense, I just am curious at this point.

+1
    it depends on where the reliefs are..... Like if there in the pump shoe then no you dont need valves. If there in the 2" spacer then yes because there will be a big air leak causing HUGE caviation.

Basically there are a couple of ways of doing it at the end of the day all you want is to get the pressure out of the the tunnel area before it overstuffs.

I have run both ways. I can tell you the jet works valves need maintenance then holes in the shoe just need the size adjusted based on your speed the problem is you dont know how big to make the holes in the shoe until you have had a buck. So for someone who is just building these for the first time follow a proven method go with 1" valves in the extention with a 5 psi retention.
    if you want a more of my opinion pm me so you can call me.

+1
    Thank you... I had the reliefs set to feed from the 2" pump spacer.

+1
    Look at the way some of the guys are running sprinkler valves 1" they seem less prone to clogging and seem to not need to be adjusted like the jetworks ones.

+1
    I was also told you need to have valves because at hole shot they will be under vacuum, and if there was no valve it would cause cavitation. Kinda like when the carbon ring is going bad, except no water coming in the hull.

+1
    I wasn't opting to try to run it without the valves for the sake of saving a few bucks...just for the possiblility of taking them out the equation to not have to rely on them for safety. I wasn't as concerned with holeshot as much as I was concerned with a valve or two failing and not allowing the pressure to be relieved. If I end up having to run them I will. Again, I just hate relying on things in the plumbing section at your local Home Depot or Lowes for my safety. BUT...if thats what it takes, and it's proven to work as it obviously has been...I may not have a choice in the matter.

+1
    No valves= Max speed 8 mph 3 is closer to the mark.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information