Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

1994 SLT 750 Water in Hull

Hey guys,

I have been reading the forum and still for the life of me cant figure out where the water is coming in the hull, i have attached it to the trailer put it in lake and ran it dont see any water coming in, i have riden it around just normal no spins no anything( as its COLD!) and get back to the dock pull the seat water is up to about the negative battery on the engine mount plate. so i leave the seat on the dock and take it out on the lake( no one one the lake) and look into the engine compartment when i'm going full out and the water is there in the hull but i can NOT see where its coming from. any ideas? of places to check?

Banned User
    +1
    Check your bilge siphon hoses and make sure they are clear. Especially the vent hole in the elbow. If that little vent hole is plugged it can actually suck water in instead of pumping it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Check your bilge siphon hoses and make sure they are clear. Especially the vent hole in the elbow. If that little vent hole is plugged it can actually suck water in instead of pumping it out.
    What's the best way to clear it? I've actually not seen a vent hole.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Banned User
    +1
    Compressed air

+1
    Check your thru hull cable for the steering, pitot fitting is broke or missing or the base piece is loose or the pitot is loose. Is the hose attached?

any hoses that sprung a leak? all clamps tight?

Your drain plug could be bad, or its not in properly, or the base that it screws into is loose.

Water inlet thru hull is leaking, or the water intake hose is clamped loose. the hull itself could have a crack in it, or its leaking by the thermostat hose connection or the black cup underneath it is loose.

check the muffler connection for the hose being loose,or you have a hole in the muffler.

If you did the water valve mod or strainer, that could be a problem too. the seal on the strainer is bad or not tightened correctly and cross threaded it.

check the gas cap outside of the hull and make sure the seal is there and everything is tight.

Your thru hull bearing carrier is worn or the hoses aren't tight.

and 1 more... the water rail gaskets are loose and spraying water at the carbs under pressure only. mine were on my slt. the bar was warped. and my steering cable on the Pro was leaking a lil too. but fixed both.

+1
    I have also seen water come in through cracks in the foot wells that are covered up with hydroturf...... If I hadn't pulled and replaced mine, I would have never known they were there..... That explains why the previous owner had installed a bilge pump.... I don't need one anymore.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I have also seen water come in through cracks in the foot wells that are covered up with hydroturf...... If I hadn't pulled and replaced mine, I would have never known they were there..... That explains why the previous owner had installed a bilge pump.... I don't need one anymore.....
    I talked to Keddano a bit and he told me to put 2-3 inches of water in the hull and see if it leaks out. Anywhere. That's what I'm doing today. I haven't had any wayer up on the foot pad area( its cold!).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

+1
    Alright so put a good amount of water in the hull, NO leaks out drained it and such obviously couldnt get it ALL out, I greased the threw hull and put a different hose clamp on the muffler( side coming from engine) cant tell if there was as much water or not, steady stream out the drain plug for 4 seconds or so....so im thinking some might still be coming in but that could lso be from the hose!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Check your thru hull cable for the steering, pitot fitting is broke or missing or the base piece is loose or the pitot is loose. Is the hose attached?

any hoses that sprung a leak? all clamps tight?

Your drain plug could be bad, or its not in properly, or the base that it screws into is loose.

Water inlet thru hull is leaking, or the water intake hose is clamped loose. the hull itself could have a crack in it, or its leaking by the thermostat hose connection or the black cup underneath it is loose.

check the muffler connection for the hose being loose,or you have a hole in the muffler.

If you did the water valve mod or strainer, that could be a problem too. the seal on the strainer is bad or not tightened correctly and cross threaded it.

check the gas cap outside of the hull and make sure the seal is there and everything is tight.

Your thru hull bearing carrier is worn or the hoses aren't tight.

and 1 more... the water rail gaskets are loose and spraying water at the carbs under pressure only. mine were on my slt. the bar was warped. and my steering cable on the Pro was leaking a lil too. but fixed both.
    Did not see any leaks from the sterring, pitot fitting is still there hose is attached and it seems tight, MFD does not see a speed though..could be bad MFD its realllly faded. as far as hoses that sprung a leak I do not see any ive attached it to the trailer and reved it up and such and see no water leaking from anywhere. took muffler out, no hole replaced hose clamp side closest to engine i have not done any water mods( bought the ski a week ago)

+1
    if no water is coming in the hull as it sits on the trailer might mean the water is getting in from water pressure when the ski is running. I'm wondering if you hull has a bilge hole off the side of the ski that is leaking possibly.. just a thought. Is your big pipe gasket leaking? Thats where the four big bolts are on top. or there also is a lil hose underneath that connects to it too.

But you would only see these places leaking under pressure while cruising.

You could also take some paper towels,,(dry the hull first comepletly), then take the towels and place them in the hull all over, then run the ski until you see them wet. that would give you a direction to look for a leak.

Can you see any telltale signs of water anywhere? like on top of the motor like it was spraying? or is everything dry except for the bottom of the hull when it gets water in it?

Is the drain plug mount thats against the hull screwed in tight? that can become loose over time. or it could be leaking from a bad seal job.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information