Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

What to check when buying used snowmobile?

I am new to snowmobiles and want to get my first SkiDoo here soon. What should the pre buy inspection consist of? I will get an old 90's model.

Banned User
    +1
    same checklist for 2 stroke motors..check the carbides, track, hyfax,bulkheads, and belly pans should be free of dents.. those are the main points. get a rev and never look back

+1
    Thanks Dude. Between a 1994 Ski Doo Mach Z or a 1993 Yamaha V-Max4 which is the better sled and why? I'll be doing mainly trail and some uphill riding. My budget is just $1400 tops.

Ski-Doo Mach Z Snowmobiles (I am interested in the second one)

Yamaha V-MAX4 750

Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    Thanks Dude. Between a 1994 Ski Doo Mach Z or a 1993 Yamaha V-Max4 which is the better sled and why? I'll be doing mainly trail and some uphill riding. My budget is just $1400 tops.

Yamaha V-MAX4 750
    While those sleds were rockets back in their day - suspension has improved dramatically and rider foreword seating.
    Buying anything that old is risky. Worn bearings, skis, track, compression. The three cylinders machs are known to lose the bottom end - and at that age they are not even worth repairing.
    As per the previous poster - any 2004+ rev will be night and day.

Banned User
    +1
    The skidoo's are typically lighter faster and easier to mod. They tend to vibrate more than yamahas, and not as smooth. I would never own a yami sled. Skidoo's and Polaris. That z with the tripples is a better sled IMHO. The 4's if i recall have horrible gas mileage, heavy, and crappy suspensions. Yami engines are solid and dependable though.

Banned User
    +1
    Just like anything newer technology = lighter faster stronger better.... But your gonna pay for it. If I were you I'd save up more money and buy a newer and better sled in the spingtime for a little more monies. People know now is the time to sell and want top dollar.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Just like anything newer technology = lighter faster stronger better.... But your gonna pay for it. If I were you I'd save up more money and buy a newer and better sled in the spingtime for a little more monies. People know now is the time to sell and want top dollar.
    I would but I need a sled for this winter. I decided I am not going to be miserable all winter because I can't ride my PWCs and bike so I figure I'll get a snowmobile.

+1
    2004 MXZX 800, my toy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317296289.896975.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	254590  

Banned User
    +1
    I wish i had the land to ride like you guys up north do!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post

Yamaha V-MAX4 750
    DO NOT BUY A YAMAHA V-MAX 4 750!!!!!!!!!!! One of the biggest turds I have ever owned!!!!! I had the 800 model and that thing rides and handles increadably bad..... The motor has awsome power but it can't make up for how bad it handles, It's a very heavy sled. EVERYTHING can beat it on the trails and I doo mean EVERYTHING! The only place this sled is good is on a glass smooth lake, other than that its horrible.

Buy yourself a late 90's ski-doo and you will have a great sled at a very fair price. Power, ride and handling all in one package. You won't regret it!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information