Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone consider E85

I was looking at some different octane ratings on fuel and noticed E85 is 105 octane. This would not only allow for higher compression and timing without the cost of race fuel, but its a little cheaper than 92 octane here.
    Has anyone heard what it would take to run it in our GPRs? Most stations already blend 10% as it is.
    Cheaper, higher octane, cleaner, and cooler burning sounds all good to me.

E85 is 85 percent ethanol. You would have to almost double the fuel delivery to the engine. I have been exploring converting a gp1300 to 100 percent methanol. Nobody seems to have any experience or knowledge on a 2 stroke on methanol that i can find, even on a google search.

Yeah thats kind of the problem Im having with E85 (little info on converting and less with 2 strokes) I can solve the fuel delivery issue easy enough with a high flow electric pump and larger fuel line if needed. I think this would be an easier conversion with carbs but the efi controler might be able to feed it. Im interested in your methanol project as well but the station 2 miles down the street sells 105 octane E85 for $2.04 a gallon right now.

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    Yea, Its $1.69 here for E85. The only thing is, Even tho its a higher octane, (now this is with cars so I dont know if this has to do with skis that are convered to run both fuel types) it does not give you as much performance or as good as gas mileage as normal gasoline.

You are right. Thats kind of how it works- Higher octane fuel actually doesnt run as good as lower octane in a vehicle that is setup for say 87 octane. The higher octane actually allows you to run higher compression and more timing without detonation. So basicly high octane doesnt add a bit of performance (it often hurts it) but it allows you to build the performance in the engine without detonation.

A methanol fueled engine will give you approximately a 20 percent gain in power! Thats huge considering all you have to do is double the fuel delivery, then fine tune with a R&D controller. Mine is all theory at this point, but adding a larger volume fuel pump, then simply adding another injector on each cylinder should get you there. Only thing i need to test is if alky will rot the front and rear crank seals. If it does, we have a problem houston. If not, then its really pretty simple...

+1
    A guy i work with has a sprint car that runs alcohol (650 hp at rear wheels)..he used to run a mini sprint with a yamaha 250cc two-stroke and made 54 hp....54 hp from 250cc is a lot..the same hp level on a 1300cc would be around 280 hp..alcohol is more forgiving than gas.its more corosive to rubber parts,and the engine needs to be built with high compression......the sea-doo guys put in 50 lb injectors when they go to the b-kit...so bigger injectors would be a must do if you convert..the ratio for gas to alcohol is 1.75 to 1...almost double...which means that your fuel tank is now only effective 7.5 gallon tank......after you get your alcohol motor built add a little pop to it 20% nitromethane (that is like 30 bucks a gallon)...not....might be interesting but not worth the labor unless you are running top fuel gpr class ...if you guys are serious about an alky motor i can ask my buddy lots of questions..he has years of sprint car experiance.

first of all methanol is not E85. E85 is ethanol, I run methanol in my racing go-karts. I have to run a bigger main jet (twice as big). E85 also does not like some rubber components in engines and fuel systems, it melts it. In 2 stroke you have to use special blends of premix because most will separate. e85 and methanol will wash all the oils from your cyl and crank. you would have to use foaming oil spray every time you run the ski to stop it from rusting. When the fuel temps get below 65 it will be hard to start, you may have to start it with gas like I do with my karts. It also stinks when it burns, it burns you your eyes. If it catches fire you can't see it burn and it burn much hot then gas and will fry you if you get in it's way. A friend of mine got 3 degree burns on his hands because he went to plug the spark plug wire off and never saw that the engine was on fire.
    Mike

+1
    Im sticking with good ol gasoline

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    Same here. Alot of people here in MN use E85 because most of the 2003 and on vehicles sold here can run on E85. they say in the long run its almost just as much as regular gasoline because of the gas mileage. It maybe 50 cents cheaper but if you get worse gas mileage on it, it all adds up. I would like to see a PWC run on it though. Just for the heck of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information