Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question New guy with basic questions.

Hello everyone! Allow me introduce myself. I am Mike. I have just picked up a 14' fishing boat with a Yamaha j500 jetski motor in it. Now I am VERY new to this technology. So I have NO idea what most of the post are saying.
    I have modded Cars and ATV's for years but this is a new venture for me.
    So here are my questions.
    I need to know WHAT each part does not just how to mod or upgrade it.

Intake grate....What does it do? Mine is broken I believe.
    Ride plate
    Nozzle
    Water box

Thing is when I try to get the boat up on plane it starts to cavitate bad. Motor revs real high and I loose forward power. once I back out of the throttle a little it settles back. So I have to think that the prop is not getting enough water to it.

Thanks for the help in advance. I have searched and read for the last couple days and have a list of stuff to get once I figure out how all this works.

+1
    Welcome to the forum Mike.
    Intake grate - scoop up water, doesnt let big solid go through the pump, keep boat hook up, and handling.
    Ride Plate - increase acceleration times by getting you up on plane faster and handling
    Nozzle - Steering
    Water Box - Similar to a car muffler, Quiet muffler sound down, create back pressure for engine to operate correctly

Since you stated your intake grate is broke it will cause the boat to cavitate. I would replace that before taking it out again, it's possible the boat will turn erraticly...

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I have looked in to making this type set up....some pics would help, I have researched the "jet jon" set up, and have a pump set up that was designed for this..... there are several ways they may have done this.....so some pics would really help....Did the use the jet ski bottom and graft it into the boat, or just the motor and pump?

Usually cavitation is caused by either something in the intake / pump area or damaged impeller /to much clearance, being impellar to housing clearance is to much

THANKS GUYS !!
    Speed, I will try and find a grate asap. See if that helps.

Aqua, I will get some pics of the set up when I pull it down to put the grate in. It is a really cool set up and runs great in small ponds. I want to be able to take it to the river and run it there once I get the Cavitation issue taking care of.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    You will find most of the products on the online store go check it out PWCPerformance.com

+1
    What makes you think the intake grate is broken? are there pieces missing? or look like the have broken off?

Yes. I looked up the grates and the bars are missing. Not sure if there are a scoops or something but there is definitely pieces missing.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf867 View Post
    Yes. I looked up the grates and the bars are missing. Not sure if there are a scoops or something but there is definitely pieces missing.
    hope those pieces did not go through the pump, with a rock or something...

+1
    May want to take a look at the impellar and housing to see if they are damaged while your at it.....should be able to see in there with a flash light from the back (steering nozzle) and through whats left of the intake grate

+1
    Stock intake grate just have bars, aftermarket intake grate have scoop, it help to scoop and channel the water better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information