Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winterizing if Skis are in the garage all winter in SC?

So my skis stay in my garage 24x7 unless they're being used. I live in Greenville SC - it does get to freezing here for a month or so, usually in the 15-25 range minimum at night. However, I don't think my garage ever really gets below 40-45.

In this case can I just put some fogging oil in the carbs and cylinders, sta-bil in the gas tank (and remove the battery of course) and call it a day? Do I need anti freeze or any other things done for the winter?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by crackofdawn View Post
    So my skis stay in my garage 24x7 unless they're being used. I live in Greenville SC - it does get to freezing here for a month or so, usually in the 15-25 range minimum at night. However, I don't think my garage ever really gets below 40-45.

In this case can I just put some fogging oil in the carbs and cylinders, sta-bil in the gas tank (and remove the battery of course) and call it a day? Do I need anti freeze or any other things done for the winter?
    this will be up for debate but heres my .02. since you are so far south I think what you are doing is fine. you have to be below 32* for an extended period to get water to freeze. for example, if its in the 40's during the day and dips to 32 or lower for a couple hours thats not going to hurt anything. you would only need to add antifreeze if you are below 32* in the day and night or if its in the 30's during the day and at or below 32* all night.
    Up here i add antifreeze as a precaution but i also stop riding in august due to job restraints. so most of the water has either evaporated out the exhaust or I blew it out during winterization.

I live where the temps can get to -26. I store mine in a heated shop. I fog the cylinders, and put the battery on a float charger.

I fog the cyclinders and where i keep mine its like 40 but i put RV anti freeze in just be sure that i dont have to buy another block next season...

+1
    I would make sure you run the ski with the stabil so it gets into the carbs. I normally just run it all summer since I never know how long it will sit for.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just topped off the gas tanks on the skis today and got some Sta-bil. Will add that to the tanks and run them for 10 seconds or so a couple times before fogging and then call it a winter. It will still be "hot" off and on for the next month or two (but I won't be able to ride them - out of town every weekend after today for the next 4 weeks) - most water will have completely evaporated by that point. I leave the seats off in the garage as well. Usually the garage stays 50+ even when it's freezing outside. I don't have a battery tender, just a trickle charger. My plan was to trickle charge each battery for ~1 hour every month until next season, unless someone knows where I can get a battery tender that works with 2 batteries super cheap (or 2 super cheap battery tenders).

+1
    19 seconds of run time will not get the stabil through the carbs.
    You still have all the old fuel in the lines and fuel filter.

Cheap battery tenders "harbor freight" or ebay. No doubles cheap any where.
    You could remove feed line from pump push just enough into gas cap with hose and rag .Don't blow up your tank . Then feed line into a coffee can. Hook it back up. Still will take more than 20 seconds to get carbs good.

Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    19 seconds of run time will not get the stabil through the carbs.
    You still have all the old fuel in the lines and fuel filter.
    I don't have any way to run the skis for more than a short period of time as I won't be able to take them to the lake and I don't have a way to hook a garden hose into either ski.

Can anyone comment on this:

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

Looks perfect - cheap ($22 each), computer automated, and tiny so it's easy to keep 2 of them in the garage. I would leave the batteries inside the skis in the garage with the seats off and just leave these connected all winter. Will that be good? 12v 0.75amp. Also it has a 'permanent' connector you can add right into your battery terminals for quick connect/release which seems perfect for jet skis, though I'm not sure how it will hold up to being in moisture/the water a lot - anyone have any input on that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information