Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

resleeving vs nikasil

K so my front cyl is totally trashed on my gp800 and its gonna need a cyl my option is to go through Sbt and either get a complete top end kit with resleeved cylinders with pistons and gaskets for $475 or get a replated nikasil cylinder and piston for $350 plus another $90 for the rear piston I know the cost comes close to being the same butv is the nikasil worth the extra money or am I better off just using the 2 new sleeved cylinders instead of just replacing the bad one

+1
    Go with nikasil if you cant find a good used one you can always get it replated through millennium technologies and when you get it back it looks like new. then order a new OEM piston. if your other piston isnt scratched up you can clean it up and just go with new rings.

+1
    Replating the front cyl is prob not gonna happen since it has deep gouges from the ring breaking I honestly think in better off with the 2 resleeved jugs with the matchd pistons mainly cause its more cost effective and if I were to get a nikasil front cyl it would be silly to not get the rear replated plus it has 155hrs on it and the guy I got it from did a half ass job on the top end and didn't do it right causing the failure so I'm better off replacing everything he touched for .fear something else could fail

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercrxsir View Post
    Replating the front cyl is prob not gonna happen since it has deep gouges from the ring breaking I honestly think in better off with the 2 resleeved jugs with the matchd pistons mainly cause its more cost effective and if I were to get a nikasil front cyl it would be silly to not get the rear replated plus it has 155hrs on it .........
    Not so.
    Millennium will repair your gauges, scratches and dings and make that cylinder better than new for a lesser price. Find someone who knows how to check the cylinder size, and if it is still within tolerences, then it is good to go.

There is nothing magical about these cylinders and wether they will work or not. You just have to find a good mechanic out there who knows what they are looking at. One obvious things to look at is to see if you still have the crosshatching that came with the cylinder. If it is still there, more than likely you should still be good.

Accurately measuring the cylinder will tell you if you need to have the cylinder replated or just cleaned up.

Do a search on nicasil plateing vs steel sleeves. There is a big upside to staying OEM with these cylinders.

+1
    What's the cost to replate a totally fine cylinder cause I might be better replating the rear you can faintly see the cross hatch marks but it has some small scoring it would prob hone out but im better off having it done right and since I have to replace the front I'm better off doing it right and having them both done that way I don't have to worry about the rear cyl later on I know the front is pretty bad cause the gouges are really deep prob 2mm deep and a port is a little messed up

+1
    Millennium does a good job they have 2 of my cylinders wright now. one has a crack between the intake and exhaust port to be welded and the 1300 has deep gouges from a shim that broke and wedged between piston and cylinder that has to be welded.
    The 1300 that has around 160 on it has 3 cylinders similar to your 800 and it would be crazy for me to send the other 2 good cylinders to be replated when they look good.
    some scoring marks arent going to hurt the cylinder as long as they are not actual scratches.
    If you decide to hone your cylinder DO NOT USE A LOT OF SPRING PRESSURE ON THE HONE and dont try to remove all the scoring marks as you could ruin the nikisil.
    It would be better NOT to hone it unless there is aluminum or something that would hang your finger nail.
    If you decide to use a hone use a long blade hone and use short repeating strokes at top then stop do middle then bottom if you try to go from the top to the bottom all at once you could hang the exhaust port with the hone blade and chip the nikisil.

I have a couple cylinders for 800
    might be able to work out a trade plus $
    PM me if interested

Millennium Rocks!!!
    I had one damaged cylinder from a ring spun, and sent the other 2 so I could restrat the clock on fresh rebuild. Also bought the ProX pistons from them so they had everything to size the jugs... easy, simple and reliable...

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Millennium Rocks!!!
    I had one damaged cylinder from a ring spun, and sent the other 2 so I could restrat the clock on fresh rebuild. Also bought the ProX pistons from them so they had everything to size the jugs... easy, simple and reliable...
    Note on an old thread: ProX pistons are great! I'll never by an OEM piston again. A tad spendy, but worth every cent!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    Note on an old thread: ProX pistons are great! I'll never by an OEM piston again. A tad spendy, but worth every cent!
    +1 yep

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information