97' GP 1200 Advice

Hello everyone,

I am new to the PWC world. Just got my first ski this summer. Now into fall I am looking into my ski's condition and possibly doing some repairs.

I just found that I have 125 lbs compression on the 1st two cylinders but only around 90 or so on number 3... It ran seemingly strong all summer around 54-57mph on the on board speedometer....

Should I look into it further or just ride the thing come spring.? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Rings, pistons, both...etc bore it hone it? Is it a big job or fairly easy to do? Do I need to remove the motor to get at the pistons rings etc?

Thanks and good to meet you all.

Brian D.
    97' GP 1200 - Bone stock far as I know, 164 hrs....

+1
    Taking the motor out is easy, 90 psi sounds on one cylinder is low...I would venture to say the motor is on it's last leg. Is it premix or still have the oil pump? Original engine? Also keep in mind that 2 strokes have the tendency of running strong and suddenly come apart. Even for the (highly inaccurate) speedo 57 seems low. Mine runs 60 on GPS, 65 on the speedo with a rebuilt SBT motor. Personally I would do a piston/ring job on the top end over the winter. These motors are relatively simple to work on. Welcome to the sport and GreenHulk.

+1
    Fix it now it will cost more later if you dont.Best to do all 3 bores if you can afford to.

Thanks guys, good to meet you both... Mine still has the oil pump system intact, I checked it daily after reading about all the hoses coming off stories... I was looking at the island racing clamps and hoses upgrade kit for the oil injection... or would it be better just to go premix... The Yami dealer said the ski would not run as well on premix compared to the variable ratio oil injection... I see alot of premixers on here... What do you guys think? Cheap insurance. I'm not looking to mod it heavy or anything, just having fun... Thanks for the input.

If i do the top end, what about the crank etc... or does the bottom end hold up pretty good? Anything I should look for with regard to the crank?

Brian

+1
    You have all winter, so you might as well tear the whole engine down, Clean everything up, inspect the crank, replace the crank seals, and reseal the crankcase halves along with your top end rebuild.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bdebruler View Post
    Thanks guys, good to meet you both... Mine still has the oil pump system intact, I checked it daily after reading about all the hoses coming off stories... I was looking at the island racing clamps and hoses upgrade kit for the oil injection... or would it be better just to go premix... The Yami dealer said the ski would not run as well on premix compared to the variable ratio oil injection... I see alot of premixers on here... What do you guys think? Cheap insurance. I'm not looking to mod it heavy or anything, just having fun... Thanks for the input.If i do the top end, what about the crank etc... or does the bottom end hold up pretty good? Anything I should look for with regard to the crank?

Brian
    I have been running premix at 32:1, and I have 320 hours on my motor. I recommend premix.

Thread Information