Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gp1300r problem

gp1300r problem

have a 06 gp1300r that starts fine runs about 1-2 min, but seems the exhaust is blocked and the motor stalls out and then the exhaust is in the engine compartment.

Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

no warning lights just seems to stall from back pressure didn't know if there was a catalytic converter or something because it's a clean burning 2 stroke

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gchappy View Post
    have a 06 gp1300r that starts fine runs about 1-2 min, but seems the exhaust is blocked and the motor stalls out and then the exhaust is in the engine compartment.

Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

no warning lights just seems to stall from back pressure didn't know if there was a catalytic converter or something because it's a clean burning 2 stroke

thanks
    One more thing it has the lever on the left handle grip for reverse/ neutral, forward but no matter where you turn it it's in forward. is there an adjustment or something or do they just break and no one fixes it?

+1
    One more thing it has the lever on the left handle grip for reverse/ neutral, forward but no matter where you turn it it's in forward. is there an adjustment or something or do they just break and no one fixes it?
    The GPR does not have reverse. The lever on the left is a position handle for different levels of bow up or bow down.

Sounds like you might have a clogged cat converter. How many hours?

Thanks I feel stupid now, i just assumed it was forward reverse. lol No neutral either i assume, that sure would be a nice option.

it has 70 hours. like i said seems to run good for a couple min then stalls seems from back pressure.

what can i replace it with or can it just be left out?

+1
    Thanks I feel stupid now, i just assumed it was forward reverse. lol No neutral either i assume, that sure would be a nice option.

it has 70 hours. like i said seems to run good for a couple min then stalls seems from back pressure.

what can i replace it with or can it just be left out?
    Most people remove the cat and replace it with a d -plate and chip. With 70 hours sounds like that maybe the problem.

You have to remove the stinger and take the cat out.

Here is a link for instructions so you can get an idea.
    http://www.rivaracing.com/instructions/ry1819.pdf

+1
    .......... but seems the exhaust is blocked and the motor stalls out and then the exhaust is in the engine compartment...........
    If you have exhaust gases in your engine compartment, you have a bigger problem then a catalytic converter that has gone bad.

If you have exhaust gases in your compartment, it also means that you have no oxygen in your compartment, and your engine cannot breath..... it stalls.

If you have exhaust gases in your compartment, the most reasonable place they could be coming from would be the weak points in the exhaust system which would be the rubber coupler at the very bottom of your hull between the stinger and water box and the rubber hose between the water box and the exit pipe. You should pull the battery box and check the clamps to make sure no gasses are escapeing.

If the rubber hoses are melted, then the weep holes on the stinger are plugged and they need to be cleaned.

If in fact there are no exhaust gasses in the engine compartment but the boat stalls, then think about the "D" plate.

7. +1 by:

even with the seat off the some if not all the exhaust will come through the engine compartment. I will put in the d plate as it seems it's time to and at that time I will check all the rubber hoses etc and replace as necessary.

I bought the gp cuz i used to be a snowmobiler and seems to be close to them but I just can't walk home when a waverunner dies. lol

thanks for the help

+1
    ........ I will check all the rubber hoses etc and replace as necessary......
    Replaceing your hose will not fix your problem. Melted hoses and exhaust gasses in the hull are symptoms of your stinger being plugged. If your hoses are burned up, check and remove any dirt/debris from the small holes in your stinger and your problems will go away.

In fact, your top end speed will also increase if your stinger is clear........

does the ski run with the seat off??? which is a good indication of an exhaust leak and not something more...
    all the above plus> your ski is all stock? it is common that the thin rubber exhaust hoses and clamps from Waterbox to plastic sound suppression to exhaust outlet can become loose and leak exhaust and water into the hull, have you noticed any water in the hull?
    if you don`t find anything out of the ordinary, then you need to thoroughly check the exhaust system as stated, from stinger to water box for sand/debris to possibly a broken baffle...
    Good luck...

The ski does not rune any better or worse with the seat off it does the same thing and there was excess water in the hull so i will check the stinger and hoses today if that doesn't work i;ll pick up a d plate.

where is the stinger and easiest way to get to it?

thanks

I checked on the net and keep coming up with a stinger pipe, i am assuming it is the same as what we used to call an expansion chamber on dirt bikes.
    if so where are the weep holes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information