Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 RXT - fix or sell?

So a while back I bought an 05 RXT with 68 hours. Had it inspected by a local dealer and got a clean bill of health. 6 hours later the engine goes and as it turns out the internals had a combination of supercharger failure as well as rust indicating it was sunk. Apparently the seller replaced the ceramic washers, but not until after they went into the engine. Not an honest seller.

Anyway, I've read a lot of the SBT threads and while most are conjecture I can't feel totally comfortable with that option.

What are my other choices? I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to engines. Sea doo rebuild? Other options? Sell for parts?

if i were you i would sell it, i wouldnt want to mess with that kinda thing. you could try and sell it for parts but some of the people i see selling their jetski for parts dont sell much...

+1
    Either that or if your handy and just a rec rider do it yourself by a used long block from a credible source or part it out to put on another ski where are u located

+1
    If it really sank, there could be lots of other issues. You could at least pull the head to get a better look at what you might be dealing with.

I know how you feel, I am in the same boat as you.. I have an 05 RXT with about 80 hours on it, and my my SC went out as well. I am pulling the engine this week to see how bad the damage is. I can tell you by what I have seen so far, it is not going to be cheap by any means. I'm looking at having to replace both oil pumps for sure, and who knows what else I will find once the motor is apart. I will let you know how it goes. Where are you located? If you end up parting yours out, I may be interested in some parts.

Quote Originally Posted by shrabber View Post
    Either that or if your handy and just a rec rider do it yourself by a used long block from a credible source or part it out to put on another ski where are u located
    I'm in Orlando. Are there credible place out there that sell used engines? From what i read i thought these engines were hard to come by unless you get lucky with ebay.

If not i'll probably just sell the whole ski as is. Everything but the engine and the oil pumps are fine. For some reason the shady seller fixed the supercharger after they replaced the washers but didn't bother to clean out the debris.

After this i'd certainly have a difficult time buying a used ski again.

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Search the classifieds. There was someone on there selling a complete motor for only $3k. Then sell off all the good parts from your old motor and you'll probably get close o breaking even.

I sent you a PM steve.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve36 View Post
    I'm in Orlando. Are there credible place out there that sell used engines? From what i read i thought these engines were hard to come by unless you get lucky with ebay.

If not i'll probably just sell the whole ski as is. Everything but the engine and the oil pumps are fine. For some reason the shady seller fixed the supercharger after they replaced the washers but didn't bother to clean out the debris.

After this i'd certainly have a difficult time buying a used ski again.
    Are you mechanically inclined if Not I know a awesome mechanic in florida and very very reasonable and most part honest im in Florida I be interested in the rxt at a good price

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    Here's a link to a motor for $1500 that you could use to combine with yours to make one good motor. Sell off what you don't need:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165113
    Here's the complete motor for $3k:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164296

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information