Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1300R Low Oil Warning - Needs Bleeding?

I was riding my GP1300R (2007) and out of the blue the Low Oil alarm started flashing. It was correct - it was low on oil so idled around 50m back to shore.

My question is - does the alarm come on with some oil still left in the tank. I'm worried about having to reprime the oil as it mentions this in the Yamaha manual.

Any advice? Thank You.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewski1 View Post
    I was riding my GP1300R (2007) and out of the blue the Low Oil alarm started flashing. It was correct - it was low on oil so idled around 50m back to shore.

My question is - does the alarm come on with some oil still left in the tank. I'm worried about having to reprime the oil as it mentions this in the Yamaha manual.

Any advice? Thank You.
    You are fine there is still plenty of oil when the alarm starts to beep.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    You are fine there is still plenty of oil when the alarm starts to beep.
    +1
    make it a practice to check the level before a ride, and top off... just don`t continue to ride a long time after the alarm sounds...

low oil

Any advice? Thank You.

Mine has done that before as well (2004). I just filled oil tank up and was fine. Only need to re-prime if completely out.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel30 View Post
    Mine has done that before as well (2004). I just filled oil tank up and was fine. Only need to re-prime if completely out.
    you guys run it to low and you won`t have to worry about priming it, The bouncing and sloshing will cause bubbles and bubbles + air and then boom...
    just keep it topped off...

What would be the signs if it did for arguments sake lose the oil prime? Would there be further warnings (overheating ect....?)

What would be the signs if it did for arguments sake lose the oil prime? Would there be further warnings (overheating ect....?)
    nope, a bog as it is locking up, then good night Irene...

Thats kind of scary !! I take it its a simple case of opening the bleed nut to check if the oil is primed through may be worth doing to set my mind at rest.!!!!?

Thats kind of scary !! I take it its a simple case of opening the bleed nut to check if the oil is primed through may be worth doing to set my mind at rest.!!!!?
    not really, there are different values in ohms as the floats drop, the oil warning is there to say, "Fill me up" as long as you didn`t go back out and go thru another tank of fuel you should be fine. what was the level when you finally added oil?

with the 1300 you get about 2-2.5 tanks of fuel before you need to top off the oil tank if memory serves.
    If your worried, just carry an extra quart in the storage box...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information