Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

97 Hurricane - Project Tropical Storm

So as some of you saw, I posted in the open discussion about picking up a hurricane. I had joked around a few months back about finding a good deal on one and buying it just so I can test ride it and then sell it if I don't like it. Well, it happened...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hurr1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	254961
    The ski was ~ 3 hours away but it worked out that he was going to a football game about halfway to my house the next morning. So, I got up at 5am to make the trip to get the ski.

Name:	Hurr4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	254959
    So the only thing that was modified was the oil injection... He told me he read the pumps were unreliable and so he routed the lines back into the tank out of the pump and capped the lines and went to pre-mix. Once I verify that the pump is good, I will be removing his fix and adding oil injection back to the ski.

Name:	Hurr2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	254962
    The first project was to fix the MFD. By using a how-to I found on here, I was able to repair the MFD to bring it back to life.

Name:	Hurr3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	254963
    Since the ski still had some tempo lines I knew I would need to go through and rebuild the carbs and replace the lines. I was able to take it out for a quick run and it ran but needed the choke on for it to not stall out/hesitate. I noticed on these carbs, the inlet diameter matches the diameter of the hole from the air cleaner assembly and then tapers down to the venturi and throttle plate. This is different from my SLH which has a much smaller inlet diameter that IIRC remains the same small diameter through the entire carburetor. I can see where this would definitely help performance-wise. I wonder if these carbs would be an upgrade for the SLH. At this point I pulled the carbs apart to see what all I would be needing to make sure I got all the right parts ordered at once.

Name:	Hurr5.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	254960
    Here the ski is as it sits right now. I have removed the beat-up decals and washed it down. At this point, I need to reinstall the MFD, finish cleaning it up, rebuild the carbs and see how she does. The ski has also been moved off of the modified utility trailer and onto my spare single trailer. The utility trailer will have all of the modifications removed and will be made into a dedicated utility trailer.

Name:	Hurr6.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	254964
    Just another shot of the ski as it sits now...

+1
    Plan on keeping it... if there is flat water where you ride you will love this ski, it is so fun to lay over in turns, it is comical to watch people get thrown because it bites so hard!

Banned User
    +1
    Have fun with that bad boy!!!!!!!! I have always wanted to try one of those.

+1
    If you're ever in the Rochester, NY area just let me know and I'll let you take it for a run!

+1
    So I pulled apart the 'non-serviceable' side of the fuel pump and found this... Fortunately I had a replacement that I could use and its the same one as the serviceable side of the fuel pump! It's a wonder the freaking ski ran!

Name:	2011-10-06_20-36-18_432.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	255670

+1
    She lives again! Saw 52mph at about 6800the rpm last night. Piston wash looks quite good, mag cylinder is almost perfect and pto is a touch on the rich side which is fine for now. Gonna get some more ride time on it today too. It truly is a fun ski but it takes some getting used to for sure.

+1
    nice thats some good rpm's and speed

there was one for sale here in Syracuse but I missed out on it, I really want one of these ski's.

+1
    92PolarisMike, I just sent you a PM with a link to one for sale not too far from Syracuse. It could be a good deal but you'd have to go check it out. It would make a great winter project!

As an update with my Hurricane we rode it all day yesterday and saw a top speed of 53.8 mph @ 6780 (IIRC) rpm. It seems to be running great except it loads up at idle pretty bad (backed the low jets in a touch now just need to test-ride again). Piston wash still looks good with the PTO cyl on the rich side. It does have one quirk that it developed though. The previous owner replaced the grips with a set of what I think are bicycle grips and they have a high side that wasn't allowing the throttle to be opened up 100% so, while at the lake, I trimmed the grip so you could open the throttle all the way without obstruction. What we noticed is that after I did this, after extended periods of high-rpm the ski would bog down/stall upon letting off the throttle. It acts as if its loading up when you let off the throttle. If it doesn't stall you can feather the throttle and then after a few seconds it runs great again. If it stalls, it restarts and continues to run great again.

I guess I'll need to do some searching and double check my carburetors to make sure everything is good. I also need to verify that the oil pump does indeed work and at that point I'll replace all the oil lines and get that back up and running.
    Last edited by ThrottleOut; 10-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Only ski I have ever slid backwards across the water, was pretty scary the first time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information