***Update*** VX Deluxe loss of speed and some smoke

So over the Labor Day weekend which was a few weeks ago I start having some issues with the VX. It only come out of the hole like it used to and will only stay at about 40 if that on the speedo when normally it was in the mid 50's. It also seems to not be able to hit the rev limiter (it's almost there). I did turn the low RPM mode on and off a few times to be sure that wasn't giving me any issues.

It did somethign similar before when it sucked up some weeds but the intake was clear. Last time too it went away about 2 mins after being cleared out. After playing with it for a bit I was about to head in when I noticed some smoke in the air which was from me.

I saw another similar thread that talked about changing spark plugs but given the smoke I'd imagine it's beyond that simple fix.

It may be a few weeks before I can tear into it but I'd like to have an idea what both myself and wallet will be up against.

Any help from you guys would be great.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by bassdocktor; 11-14-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    How many hours? sounds like valve guides or seals......seems to be the first to go on high hour VX's......

I forgot to mention the that it has right around 30 hours on it. It's practically brand new and all stock. Yes I've had it since new so the hours are correct.

+1
    check air filter for oil in there and replace the sparkplugs for sure, then re test, If your problem still exist do a compression test next, Tommy Jordan

Thanks guys! It'll probably be about another few weeks before I get to check it out but I'm hoping this is gonna be the solution.

Update

Well guys I finally got to take it apart today and there is definitely oil in the air filter box and on the filter.

Any idea if this is from it improperly being turned over? I seem to recall tipping it a little to fish some weeds out of the intake.

Probably just going to order one of the R&D filters or does anyone have a better suggestion? Last question, anything else beside this and the plugs to really check out?

As always thanks in advance guys!

+1
    When your filter has got oil, it's more of indication that you have overfilled the oil!

If oil is overfilled, it can kill your top end speed and ski can feel sluggish! Who did the oil change?

Check the oil when ski is warm.

Last time it was changed was by the dealer when I took it in for one of those first year services or something like that. It wasn't used more than a few hours last year so the oil never was changed. Trust me I realize I probably should have done it anyway.

Yeah there is a small pool of oil in the air box so it's definitely overfilled. After seeing the smoke I was so worried that it was gonna require a rebuild so $80 for a filter is soooo much better.

Thanks again everyone!

So to answer the question the last oil change was the dealer. From what I've been reading it seems dealers over fill pretty often.

Thread Information