Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1

Intake Grate for GTX

I was in the GH performance store looking to get a grate for my '03 GTX. I put a WTB in the classifieds, but no responce. If I can't find a good deal on a used, I'm just going to get a new R&D or a Riva. Both are only $130 new.

The reason I want a new grate is to stop cavitation. When I punch it while I'm going slow, the motor cavitates the pump and it bounces on the rev limiter. I'm a 99 percent ocean rider.

Opinions? Thanks.

+1
    you need to change your plastic pump for an aluminum this will stop your cavitiation, a intake grate not going to stop it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    you need to change your plastic pump for an aluminum this will stop your cavitiation, a intake grate not going to stop it.
    I've wondered how much the pump is flexing.. A little more $$ than I can afford right now. Also since I've come unhooked when going wide open in chop, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

I have a R&D Aquavein on my gpr and it hooks up really well in choppy ocean water. I I've no experience with the Riva grate, so I'm hoping I can get a weigh in from a few folks who have a GTX or RXT and give me the differences between the two. Both are only $130 through the GH store, so I want to have an idea of what does what when compared.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    I've wondered how much the pump is flexing.. A little more $$ than I can afford right now. Also since I've come unhooked when going wide open in chop, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

I have a R&D Aquavein on my gpr and it hooks up really well in choppy ocean water. I I've no experience with the Riva grate, so I'm hoping I can get a weigh in from a few folks who have a GTX or RXT and give me the differences between the two. Both are only $130 through the GH store, so I want to have an idea of what does what when compared.
    i understand i have been down that road the only thing thats going to stop the cavitation is a metal pump it will also save you some wear rings, you can get a pump for around 200.00 just put your prop and wear ring in it and your good to go. i have the riva grate and i like it but i ride in lakes not the ocean.

+1
    Does anyone have a pump and intake grate they want to make a deal on? If no answer, I'm hitting up the GH store for the Aquavein.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=581

+1
    Nobody's parting out a ski???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post

My shaft seal and carbon ring had a 1/4" gap... It was sucking MAJOR AIR! no wonder... I still want an intake though.. On top end, I was starting to do a little skipping and lose traction (so to speak).

With my bilge pump and frequent drinking I wasn't paying attention....

Now that my GPR FINALLY has a new prop, I want my GTX to at least look like it's keeping up!

+1
    So are you saying that the plastic pump flexes so much as to cause cavitation? This is a first I've heard of this. I have 2 plastic pumps with no issues with cavitation. I think maybe you need to check the clearances on the wear ring impeller first.

+1
    Definitely change the plastic pump out. You can put an RXP pump on there. I have done it before. It works nicely..... I did it when the pump housing cracked on the GTI. Works well...

+1
    Cavitation was caused by carbon ring not being sealed to stainless ring. Had a gap and sucked in air. Issue is gone. Since I'm riding in the ocean, I want to stay hooked up better than I am now at WOT.

Thread Information