Ultra 150 Vibration at Idle = Broken Bracket

I have a 2005 Ultra 150 and when I bought the ski last month I noticed that the 45 degree bracket going from the motor to the Flame Arrestor was cracked in half. I asked the guy about it and he said he wasn't sure how it cracked and never got around to replacing it. Long story short, I ordered a new one and was out riding yesterday. When I got back, I lifted the seat to find the new bracket cracked in half as well. I was noticing at idle, the motor shakes pretty hard and as you rev it up the vibration goes away. If I grab the motor and yank side to side the motor is stiff as can be so i'm thinking it may not be the mounts. Any suggestions or has this happened to anyone. Thanks

So I'm on my 3rd front mount and am hoping this one holds up. I have found that the broken bracket is caused from the front motor mount breaking. I'm considering having a solid mount made unless there is a company who makes one. lol. When the Ski is idling around 1200 rpms the motor has a pretty decent amount of vibration. You can see the mount getting a workout. Is this normal? I haven't seen another Ultra 150 around to make a comparisson. I wish I could find a video of one idling.

+1
    Something's wrong. You certainly don't want a solid connection to the hull or it will crack. My Ultra doesn't idle all that rough. You may have a cylinder that's not firing at idle for some reason, or perhaps the balance shaft isn't timed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Something's wrong. You certainly don't want a solid connection to the hull or it will crack. My Ultra doesn't idle all that rough. You may have a cylinder that's not firing at idle for some reason, or perhaps the balance shaft isn't timed properly.
    The only thing the previous owner did supposedly was change the oil pump. Could a balancer have been moved during this change? What would cause a cylinder not to fire during idle? CDI? It runs very strong and I recently did a plug chop and all the plugs were a nice golden color. Once you rev it past idle it is very smooth. When I have long idles during no wake zones, I have a broken mount by the end of the day.

+1
    I believe the crankcase has to be opened to re-time the balance shaft, not something that would happen by changing the oil pump. Wonder if it could have been out of balance from the factory... If one cylinder had a oversize piston, that might make a difference, but I would think it would get worse as speed increases.

Rough idle could be caused by a carb that isn't flowing fuel at low speed.

Do you know why the oil pump was changed? I've never heard of one failing.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I believe the crankcase has to be opened to re-time the balance shaft, not something that would happen by changing the oil pump. Wonder if it could have been out of balance from the factory... If one cylinder had a oversize piston, that might make a difference, but I would think it would get worse as speed increases.

Rough idle could be caused by a carb that isn't flowing fuel at low speed.

Do you know why the oil pump was changed? I've never heard of one failing.
    It's funny you mention the carbs because that was I have been thinking about all day. The previous owner did do a carb rebuild so I'm not sure if it may be something he caused or if the carbs need to be cleaned. I ordered a fuel filter thinking it may be a little clogged but not sure if this could cause it. Do you have any advice on what I can look for or what I could do with the carbs to figure this out. I'm going crazy with this. I'm not sure why the oil pump was changed either. I'll have to ask. You have been a great help so far. thanks

Thread Information