Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Ever have a dispute with your own parents over money?

I'm sorry... but i try... i'm a good kid, i'm responsible, i've worked my ass off and done well for myself financially, i pay my own way in everything i do in life except my education, and yes i'm grateful for it... since i was 17 i've paid for my own cars, insurance, gas, repair bills, jetskis, everything.... never was given an allowance in my life or thrown money for leisure in recent years...

and now, i do something for my father... i organize the purchase, i organize the sale, i gave him 1 year completely free of being involved in the PWC world, he never paid for a service, oil cahnge, a supercharger rebuild out of warranty... it was all taken care of by me and my connections and thru my job at the dealership.. i supplied him with life vests, ropes, a trailer, everything....

i sell both his ski and my ski for a package deal, and i lose thousands on my machine, and he manages to MAKE money? ... i negotiated everything, i bring home the cash... how does a grown man with any common sense figure he makes money on his used jetski off of his own son that took care of everything....

f'n pissed.... been having non-stop falling outs with my parents, and i'm been watching my spending and really stashing away cash and planning on jumping ship pretty soon and living solo 100% independent... i know people say to milk it, live at home as long as you can... i love my parents, but this money thing with the skis left a bad taste in my mouth... i confidentially told me older brother about it and he was appauled at the course of events with this hole transaction...

but... my father has NO CLUE that i'm upset about it, and i think it's completely wrong that he should make money on the sale of his used machine when i single handed-ly lined the ski up to buy for him, i sold it for him, i delivered it for him, and i maintained it....

i dont care about the money, i truthfully dont even tho it may come off that way... it's principal of it!! he didn't even offer, he didn't even say like hey Steve ya know what, jsut give me the money to break-even and i had a jetski for free for 1 year.... instead every dollar he got over his original purchase price was money that came out of the amount i sold my RXT for since it was a package sale....

am i wrong? am i being irrational?

One thing Ive learned about family, you can pick your friends...
    anyways don`t let this fester, tell him how you feel, atleast you won`t be holding this in and giving you an ulcer. Atleast he would know where you stand and his opinion and then put it to rest... I didn`t have much of a chance to correct things early on and it is more difficult to do so later!... Good luck bud, have a talk with the old chap! You`ll feel better in the morning...PR...

+1
    i let my guard down... i knew better... you never phucin do business with family

+1
    Dude I feel your pain I did a deal with my Dad for some realestate I made him 40,000 in one year. When I asked him to borrow money again but this time it was for my new lake house what did he say.... Sure as long as you pay me interest on the money. What BULL SH_T I was tring to better myself and I was going to have him his money back in less thean a year...

Long story short NEVER MIX FAMILY AND MONEY.

Take it as a life lesson and move on.

+1

Talking

...see,,,you learned. I don`t ever do business with family. You can do business for family as an act of kindness, but understand that you won`t get it in return. Once you`ve settled with that fact you`ll be fine. Been "giving" my brother and his wife money for years. He says borrow,,I know its give. If I expected it back,,he wouldn`t have gotten it to begin with. But in all fairness, your old man never told you he would and probably feels that it actually made you feel good to do it for him. You may wanna drop a dime. Sounds like you already did with your brother. If you think he won`t say nothing to him,,guess what?,,your in for another let down.

Shibby,seems to me your parents are pretty cool with using their house for a junk yard/storage facility. I don`t think I would rock the boat. But just for chits and giggles,,,do it and fill us in on the outcome.

You're right Shib. Never do business with family. Get your act together and don't let this ruin the relationship with your folks. I moved out when I was 17 and it took a while before things were cool with me and the folks.

+1

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by lvnspeed View Post
    Dude I feel your pain I did a deal with my Dad for some realestate I made him 40,000 in one year. When I asked him to borrow money again but this time it was for my new lake house what did he say.... Sure as long as you pay me interest on the money. What BULL SH_T I was tring to better myself and I was going to have him his money back in less thean a year...

Long story short NEVER MIX FAMILY AND MONEY.

Take it as a life lesson and move on.
    DEAMN BRO,,,my mother did the same to me! Wanted everything lawyerred up too! I asked her if she was smoking crack?But call my ass to fix her house and cars. I tell ehr to call her other children that have nothing but time on their hands. I`m busy drinking beer.

+1

Talking

Shibby, like I`ve told you on the phone, "finish school". Then you never have to look back. Deal with it for a few more if need be. It ain`t forever but forever is the rest of your life. Wanna do something funny? Hit that damn garden. Damn, this is better than beer.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    ...see,,,you learned. I don`t ever do business with family. You can do business for family as an act of kindness, but understand that you won`t get it in return. Once you`ve settled with that fact you`ll be fine. Been "giving" my brother and his wife money for years. He says borrow,,I know its give. If I expected it back,,he wouldn`t have gotten it to begin with. But in all fairness, your old man never told you he would and probably feels that it actually made you feel good to do it for him. You may wanna drop a dime. Sounds like you already did with your brother. If you think he won`t say nothing to him,,guess what?,,your in for another let down.

Shibby,seems to me your parents are pretty cool with using their house for a junk yard/storage facility. I don`t think I would rock the boat. But just for chits and giggles,,,do it and fill us in on the outcome.
    Well said! Steve, you have damn good parents (of course). I hope you take this more in a positive way than a negative, I think it's something to say for a parent or parents to establish your education funds and let ya live underneath thier roof. Looking at the bigger picture I feel that until you pay for the mortage, life insurance, health insurance, property taxes, etc.. etc.. that you should be grateful. Please don't take this in a negative way. You will be fine, and I think you are raised well.

+1
    i feel better about it now.. after new years and a few drinks that is ... it is what it is, forget it and move on. I don't know if i'll forget it, but lesson learned, and i'll suck this one up....

of course i've got it pretty good right now with a free education and a free place to live, but we all been adolescents and that time when mom and dad are getting old, acting old, and becoming clones of your grandparents and you just wanna bang your head against a brick wall because you can't take it anymore... i think at some point ALL parents tell their children, dont ever let me get old and act like your grandparents.... but we know they all do... gettin old is a weird thing, and my parents (dad esdpecially) is really starting to age significantly in the last while... you know the lame jokes, falling over his own feet, saying things he wasn't supposed to, making insignificant stupid mishaps into huge ordeals, and getting into that dreaded old people "routine" ... and once he's out of routine, all hell breaks lose

but i hear ya muddy river... point taken, no offense taken.... just had to get it off my chest, and you guys are like friends and family to me and usually can point me in the right direction, gather my thoughts and move on....

Graduation with my degree in Business, specifically Marketing in May '07.... I'm almost there Hoss... dunno wtf i'm gonna do after that tho ... definitely never gonna step foot into NYC in a suit and tie and an office, not my style

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information