Rear crankshaft bearing replacement

Hey all - went to start putting my 1200 npv back together and noticed my rear bearing (next to seals) was a bit rougher than the others. I found the part but I'm guessing this is pressed on? Any way to swap this out or should I go with a rebuild? Trying to keep costs down...
    Thanks!

+1
    It is pressed on and off. I was able to swap mine out by pounding a pry bar in there to wedge it off the counterweight and used a puller part of the way. You have to be careful you don't pound on the thing too terriblly hard and knock the crank out of true. I then pounded it back on with a big socket.
    There's also a sleeve that the rear seals ride on that I also replaced. You could also have a crank shop do this work also. Here's some pics:

A little hint would be to get a bearing puller. The front or rear bearings will come right off with no risk to your crank.

For installing the new bearing there is a neat trick too. If you have an industrial supply type store 4ound you, buy a workshop grade "hardened" lightbulb. I forget the actual name they go by. You need this bulb though because the trick is risky with a standard bulb.it can break. Put the bulb in any lamp or fixture that will keep the bulb upright and verticle. Place the bearing on the bulb, turn on the light, and let the bearing heat up for between 15-30 minutes. Use a towel to pick up the bearing and it'll drop in place on the crank. May take trial and error to figure out the perfect heating time.

These two things will insure against crank damage removing the bearing and bearing damage during install.

No need to trash a good crank just because an end bearing goes bad.

+1
    good tips!

ok, I remembered. The light bulb are called Rough-Service Light bulbs.

http://www.mcmaster.com has them for around $11 in a two pack. The Item Number is 1532K45

Thread Information