Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

MSX 150 engine Rebuild with FST (second generation) weber engine cases/pistons/rods

im going to start a rebuild thread, which may help other people go down the conversion route of rebuilding there engine with FST engine cases.

ill keep updating photos and progress.

i recieved the parts yesterday, with big thanks to Martin at www.precisionsports.ca for supplying the parts and his help (hes also done this conversion)

this is the first and second generation block side by side (note the coolent elbow is different) the new block if fitted with the old type waterpump gears in photo:

here are some water pump parts (new and old):

Nice new Nikasil:

balance shafts... the second generation shaft uses different gears for the water pump
    i need to check with martin that the FST balance shaft is the same "weight" as the MSX

im also going to build a simple induction for the turbo - all suggestions welcome

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    how is this nikasil plating better??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    how is this nikasil plating better??
    after the first ones went bad they corrected the newer ones so it doesn't flake off anymore

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    after the first ones went bad they corrected the newer ones so it doesn't flake off anymore
    this is my understanding too,

i dont think the OEM ecu helps, running far to rich, which i believe contaminates the oil.

the new block was similar price for me to getting my old block sleeved.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    disregard this post - stoopid question.

awsome!!!looking good,
    thanks for the advice on mine mate,

+1
    Looking good,

I had heard something about a water pump upgrade but had never seen or heard what the issues were. Can you shed any light on it?

Like the oil filter upgrade too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Looking good,

I had heard something about a water pump upgrade but had never seen or heard what the issues were. Can you shed any light on it?

Like the oil filter upgrade too.
    Hi Kosh, the main differences are:

-there isnt the lower oil pressure switch threaded hole (it an 1/8 npt) so ive been told by Martin to attach the switch in the hole under the oil filter housing.

-the FST uses a different balance crank, so to use that crank, you need the water pump gear and idle gear to make it work (there is nothing stopping you using old balance shaft and water pump gears)

-the FST has a plastic impeller (the impeller looks better profile to the MSX alloy - but both seem to be interchangeable)

-the water pump cover is different (see the above pictures) the only difference is how it goes to the pipe to the block. the actual cover/gasket/pipes seem the same.

- the oil filter set up is the same, however, the FST does come with a cast alloy cap, but im going to re-fit the plastic msx, as i would assume its less likely to sieze in a marine environment. (i can see why they made the new one alloy, i would think the plastic type has broken a few times in the past)

- pistons and rods are different, the pistons have a deeper skirt, the rods are stonger, but visualy looks similar. almost look the same.

some photos-

here is the lower turbo mount. see how one threaded hole is no longer available on the FST engine case:

this is the temporary bracket ive made:

new type part can be got from weberpower.com:

here is how its looking so far.

Induction ideas. Here is what I was working on/toying with:

1. Convert the front storage bin into a cold air intake box by running duct from turbo inlet to bin with a universal K&N filter. External "cold" air would be supplied by running existing duct to bottom of bin. Should be pretty water safe. Would need a few small holes in bottom of bin for any water to drain.

2. Remove storage bin completely by adding/expanding seal at top and build bulkhead to divide front area from engine compartment. This way you could still have some storage space and a water safe cold air intake.

Also planning on adding two more ventilation holes/tubes on port side, mirroring what is on starboard. Leaning toward number 2 at this time in order to maintain the ski's family friendly nature.

+1
    Thanks for your input. i did think about putting holes in the starboard (like port side) - but thought the reverse lever was in the way? could it be done still?

i was thinking for now, running a 76mm dia inlet twin cone universal airfilter next to fuel tank. the seadoo's seem todo ok with just running a filter in the hull. ?

i know you run your two 70mm flexi ducting hoses to near your airbox, (i did too), but my overall concern is that say the MSX did get rolled for what ever reason, on tipping it up the correct way, i worry that water (which would be in the 70mm hoses) would release into or all over the inlet airbox. same goes if the ducted directly to a universal air filter. i wouldnt want to pour water over it.
    --- so for that reason i wasnt going to put the flexi ducting right next to the air filter. i know Kosh uses a filter set up from a yamaha SHO i think?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information