Should I buy a 96 Polaris SLTX? What should I look for?

Never owned a PWC. Neighbors lost their job, want to sell along with cover, trailer and a ramp to lower into the water....they "say" it runs. $1,000 or best offer.

What should I look for as far as the engine?
    What tests can I run?
    I would really really appreciate any advice.

Medina, Ohio, United States
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Get it started #1. Then you can get a compression tester and see what the cylinders are reading.... Search compression check in the forums to find out what the numbers should be.

Sounds like a good deal to me, although I am not familiar with the SLTX..... Get some pics and post them here if you can.

Thanks. Will do. I do want to say this is a fantastic website. The wife and I were both on it last night and gained a GREAT deal of knowledge in a little amount of time. If anyone knows anything about the SLTX would appreciate any comments.

Mt. Zion Illinois
    The 1996 SLTX has a domestic 1050 motor and is rated for 115HP. The hull will be a very stable ride and handles 2 people extremely well. It's technically rated for 3 people and you can do that if one or more passengers is small, but 3 adults is not really recommended. That is generally true of 3-seaters from any brand.

Basic maintenance will be a necessity on a 15 year old ski. Replacing fuel and oil lines is essential to ensure everything is flexible and in good condition.

The primary thing with the domestic motors is charging/ignition system would go bad in them. Polaris later introduced an updated ignition system that solved the problem. The upgrade is about $350.

Thread Information