ski hull as tow behind

seing what people think.

how well you think a doo hull would make as a tow behind for a ski? im thinking of removing the pump and leaving the tunnel. then welding on 2 skegs to the botom of the ride plate to help it stay and track straight.
    then just decking across it with nidacore composite and glassing it in. having either an aluminum fuel tank made to fit in the hull or just run the stock doo tank. then make some storage compartments and hopefully have a nice tow behind for my ride in the keys and bahamas. that way id be able to carry extra fuel and it wouldn't be in cans but in a real fuel tank and even have a battery and a fuel pump to transfer fuel to the ski when time ti fill up.

thinking something simple like a small sp hull. they don't weigh anything and the front entry isn't as blunt as a yamaha.

let me know what you think. any ideas and or improvements.

something like this but made with an old seadoo sp hull.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...67965514d3.jpg

looks like all they did here is take a standup hull and shorten it and just make a new hood for it.
    with the doo hull the inner liner could be cut out to make it lighter not that there is much weight in there anyways.
    a larger tank from say a rfi or 4 stroke ski shouldn't have any problem fitting in there. some storage and a place for a cooler.

just kicking around ideas and what i have available where i work. all free stuff out in the lot of parts ski's we have.

+1
    interesting idea, I have no clue if this would work.

but one thing to keep in mind, you'll want to have a lot of the weight in the back. Remember there won't be an engine to help balance it out so the weight of the gas in the front will cause it to dive down. you will need some type of custom tank, as far back as possible...

thanks, thats the response im looking for. and a custom aluminum tank won't be a problem. just wondering if i should cut out and glass in the pump tunnel and make the transom flat like a boat or leave the pump tunnel in and just seal the driveshaft hole in the hull. hoping that just removing the pump and alowing water to enter the pump tunnel and just exit out the back will help some with stability. sort of like a concave in a hull or a pocket drive in a boat.

like the hydro trailer it will be atatched to the ski with a tow bar and not with just a tow rope. probably make mine out of anodized aluminum tubing and weld on fittings from aluminum t top parts.

since i ride a yamaha it will atatch to the ski at the tie down holes. be allowed to pivot up and down but not side to side.
    like mentioned before ill be cutting up hulls tomorrow to go in the dumpster. might experiment with one.

+1
    You want to cover the pump tunnel. I'd just use the stock attachment points, and bolt on a cover plate.

+1
    Interesting idea.

However, I might have problems leaving the sandbar with something that could haul that big of a cooler...

Just got a 95 HX hull to try this very thing. Figure I can put a cooler, some gas, a battery, maybe a radio and haul my wakeboard skis and a tube on it. We usually take 2 of the 2002 GTX 4tecs out so I can pull this with one and pull the tube and wakeboard with the other. Maybe haul a small grill out also for camping on the beach. Taking the pontoon out as a toy hauler is a pain plus I need a another captain to man it all day. Just haul this out with all the toys and either anchor it in a cove or park it on a beach. I'll upload some pics as I make progress. Got it stripped out now I need to seal it up and test drag it to see where I need the weight.
    Later,
    Ben

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye9899 View Post
    Just got a 95 HX hull to try this very thing. Figure I can put a cooler, some gas, a battery, maybe a radio and haul my wakeboard skis and a tube on it. We usually take 2 of the 2002 GTX 4tecs out so I can pull this with one and pull the tube and wakeboard with the other. Maybe haul a small grill out also for camping on the beach. Taking the pontoon out as a toy hauler is a pain plus I need a another captain to man it all day. Just haul this out with all the toys and either anchor it in a cove or park it on a beach. I'll upload some pics as I make progress. Got it stripped out now I need to seal it up and test drag it to see where I need the weight.
    Later,
    Ben

Ever ride an HX? Trust me, your going to want to pick another hull...

Thread Information