Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking at several options with new ski purchase.. your input please!

I'm going to buy my first ski this winter (currently out of the country) and am looking at a few different options. I've narrowed my search down to an FZR/S or VXR/S, basically whichever I can find cheaper I'll go with.

Searching around South Carolina, there are a few leftover 2009 FZR/S's for around 9-9500, so under 10k OTD with trailer, etc. I haven't found any VXR/S's for less than 10, but a few just over 10, so I'm assuming I could get one for around 10.5 OTD with trailer.

My question is were there any major changes between the 2009 models and newer? Reading reviews (of 09 FZRs), it sounds like the hull may have changed between then and the 10-current years. I know the engine is the same and most of the features..

Is there a better way to find the best deal than call dealers and say I'm ready to buy, what is their best price on any of these models that they can give me?

Also, have any of you been able to rent a used model you're looking at for a few hours from a dealer? The latest model I've ridden is probably 10 years old.. so it'd be nice to see the differences for myself between these.

Thanks for the help -

JR

+1
    The FZR has not chnaged since 2009. A reboarding latter was added in 2010, but the engine, pump, etc are the same. The VXR uses the n/a 1.8L engine. It's a very strong engine and is generally accepted as one of the most reliable engines out there. The SC 1.8L engine in the FZ/SHO is also a great engine. Some have had some SC issues, but a stock ski should have no issues.

The FZ and VXR are two very differnt machines, mainly due to the hull. The VXR has a smaller hull and the design is more suited to lakes/ flat water. The FZ has a deep V hull with angled chines which makes it exceptional in offshore riding.

Performance wise, a FZ and VXR will go head to head-- but in rough water the FZ will be the winner.

Either ski is a good choice, it comes down to where you intend to ride. If you are offshore alot, the FZ is a great choice. If you are a lake guy then the VXR will do you good.

Hope that helps.

+1
    MikeFZR is basically on point with the comparison but a few other things to keep in mind. My buddy has a 2011 VXR and while it is a nice looking machine, they are two totally different animals. The VXR doesn't have trim on the machine so you will not be able to adjust the ride height while cruising. The VXR also has a flater shallower hull so it becomes very rough to ride even in light to moderate chop from normal lake/river traffic. Also the VXR seems to have this bounce to it even on glass and alot of people say to shift weight/body postioning to stop it but I have ridden this boat several times and tried alot of things and just can't seem to get it to totally stop the bounce and it is a bounce that gets irritating after awhile. Both boats have their pros and cons but the FZR/S has a much better hull design for all around riding, cruising and high performance riding. The FZR/S also comes supercharged and it is also an easier, cheaper and better boat to get speed out of and do it safely. The FZR/S needs an intake upgrade out of the box but that is about the only thing that should be changed, otherwise it is a good ski. My girlfriend rides a 2009 FZR with the R&D intake, R&D ride plate and the JD recreation sponsons and her little 110lb ass gets it up close to 70 consitanty and I also ride a 2009 FZR with a grocery list full of stuff on it and it runs low to mid 80's and also does it safely and with 100% confidence. The VX platform wasn't designed for higher speeds and since it doesn't stay hooked up nearly as well as the FZR most days, your avg speed will be down compared. The FZR/S also has a larger fuel tank for more cruising range and both my girlfriends stock and my modified ski both get better mileage gallon for gallon than my buddies 2011 stock vxr. My best advice is to ride both before buying but I can tell you that I am 100% pleased with our two FZR's and my buddy is regretting his purchase as he wants to go 80+ at some point and he wishes he would have bought an FZR after riding mine a few times. Food for thought.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    The FZR has not chnaged since 2009. A reboarding latter was added in 2010, but the engine, pump, etc are the same. The VXR uses the n/a 1.8L engine. It's a very strong engine and is generally accepted as one of the most reliable engines out there. The SC 1.8L engine in the FZ/SHO is also a great engine. Some have had some SC issues, but a stock ski should have no issues.

The FZ and VXR are two very differnt machines, mainly due to the hull. The VXR has a smaller hull and the design is more suited to lakes/ flat water. The FZ has a deep V hull with angled chines which makes it exceptional in offshore riding.

Performance wise, a FZ and VXR will go head to head-- but in rough water the FZ will be the winner.

Either ski is a good choice, it comes down to where you intend to ride. If you are offshore alot, the FZ is a great choice. If you are a lake guy then the VXR will do you good.

Hope that helps.
    I agree with MIKE the vxr is better for flat conditions, also if you are thinking of riding in both Flat and Chop i will reccomend you the FX SHO is a combination of both things

Thanks for the input.. all of it echoes what I've been able to surmise from reading reports here and elsewhere.

What do you guys recommend for "shopping" over the phone? That is, just call and ask if they can beat another store's price?

I know most places rent lower end models.. is it common to be able to take out one of these higher end skis before you buy them?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpilot785 View Post
    MikeFZR is basically on point with the comparison but a few other things to keep in mind. My buddy has a 2011 VXR and while it is a nice looking machine, they are two totally different animals. The VXR doesn't have trim on the machine so you will not be able to adjust the ride height while cruising. The VXR also has a flater shallower hull so it becomes very rough to ride even in light to moderate chop from normal lake/river traffic. Also the VXR seems to have this bounce to it even on glass and alot of people say to shift weight/body postioning to stop it but I have ridden this boat several times and tried alot of things and just can't seem to get it to totally stop the bounce and it is a bounce that gets irritating after awhile. Both boats have their pros and cons but the FZR/S has a much better hull design for all around riding, cruising and high performance riding. The FZR/S also comes supercharged and it is also an easier, cheaper and better boat to get speed out of and do it safely. The FZR/S needs an intake upgrade out of the box but that is about the only thing that should be changed, otherwise it is a good ski. My girlfriend rides a 2009 FZR with the R&D intake, R&D ride plate and the JD recreation sponsons and her little 110lb ass gets it up close to 70 consitanty and I also ride a 2009 FZR with a grocery list full of stuff on it and it runs low to mid 80's and also does it safely and with 100% confidence. The VX platform wasn't designed for higher speeds and since it doesn't stay hooked up nearly as well as the FZR most days, your avg speed will be down compared. The FZR/S also has a larger fuel tank for more cruising range and both my girlfriends stock and my modified ski both get better mileage gallon for gallon than my buddies 2011 stock vxr. My best advice is to ride both before buying but I can tell you that I am 100% pleased with our two FZR's and my buddy is regretting his purchase as he wants to go 80+ at some point and he wishes he would have bought an FZR after riding mine a few times. Food for thought.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    Thanks for the input.. all of it echoes what I've been able to surmise from reading reports here and elsewhere.

What do you guys recommend for "shopping" over the phone? That is, just call and ask if they can beat another store's price?

I know most places rent lower end models.. is it common to be able to take out one of these higher end skis before you buy them?
    You should be able to test ride any ski you like, although this vaires based on the individual dealer. I have never shopped over the phone. Where do you plan on buying your ski? What state? Because with that information we can recommend a few dealers that are 'greenhulk approved'

I'm in Charleston, SC. I believe there are 2 dealers in town and another few within an hour or two's drive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    I'm in Charleston, SC. I believe there are 2 dealers in town and another few within an hour or two's drive.
    I would get some feedback from local members about finding a good dealer/ price. But you said you can get a FZR for under 10k OTD. IMO that is a great price. See of you can get the YES warantty to go with it.

As a former car salesmen I can tell you that over the phone sales don't really happen. We use to get calls all the time for our best price and it was a standard price response. Go into the store and tell the salesman that you're going to buy a ski today, right now and that you want the best price. Get them down as low as they'll go. $10,000 OTD is a good price so if you can get lower than that get it. You're going out of season right now which is a good time to buy. If you want to walk out, tell the dealer that you're going to your bank to see what kind of deal you can get but that you'll be back. At that point you'll get your best price because 90% of people who walk out of a dealership never come back. A statistical fact beaten into every Toyota salesman's head. If you still don't like their price then walk to another dealer and see how low you can get'em and go with the lowest price. I did the exact same thing when I bought my VXS' and bought them from the 2nd dealer I went to who beat the first dealers price. Remember, good time to be a buyer, bad time to be a dealer (thank you bama).

+1
    The fzr/fzs ski's are like a mercedes s600 big and comfortable and very strong and fast.......thats what the Green Hulk himself rides !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information