Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question on power lose, NEW Speedster 150 255

Hi, thanks for your time.
    Im new to all this, I own a 255hp speedster 150, its new with 20 hours. I'm having a problem hope you can help me. the dealer sucks big time…

Ok, this is whats happening, after a few minutes of cruising or skiing at relative low speed (up to 30mph) when I try to accelerate the boat looses power, then it comes in like in pulsations, so it pulls and drops like wo wo woo wooo wooo till it picks up speed, once it gets up to speed it seems normal, if I run at high speed for a few seconds then I can slow down and accelerate hard again like nothing ever happened, and if Im running it hard all day it acts normal and pulls well.

but as soon as I start cruising or going slow for a minute or so, then it has trouble accelerating again, to me it feels like it slipping, but the dealer tells me it cant be the supercharger because then it wouldn't pick up speed again, they tell me that if the sc is gone power doesn't pick up again and it doesn't act like that, and that it must be the gas pump or something like that. so can the supercharger slip like that? could it be that at the 10 hour service they used the wrong oil and the cluth is slipping like on a motorcycle?

to be honest I really don't feel its the gas pump, but I have no experience, I really hope someone can help me.. is this something familiar to this boats? has anybody heard of something like this? the dealer told me they have never heard of something similar, their clueless and they haven't had the time to come over and check it… HELP PLEASE! thanks again!!

Maybe one partially fouled plug or failing coil pack? Check your plugs; it likely not the problem but it's easy and it may reveal something related.. Just so we don't miss something simple; look up damaged impeller and cavitation... if you are unfamiliar with this effect. Maybe a sensor issue?

Good luck and please remember to post your final fix for others.

Cheers!

What about gas? Do you think it could be some water in it or something?

+1
    Put new plugs in it, fill the tank with 93 and give it a go. You are having a fueling/spark issue it sounds like.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Put new plugs in it, fill the tank with 93 and give it a go. You are having a fueling/spark issue it sounds like.
    Try this.

Also sounds like when my IC leaked....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    Try this.

Also sounds like when my IC leaked....
    He has a 255 doesn't he. Then yes, you could have a leaky IC and possibly a swollen IC leaking h20 in it causing the break up. Are the plugs fouled?

I haven't found this kind of plugs in my local shop so i will be going to the city next week to get them. But i though I would share this I found in the NGK web site about "Carbon Fouling" in spark plugs, its interesting and might be something good to learn, seems like the problem Im having, in which case you guys might be right about changing the plugs, yet I think I will still need to find whats causing the plugs to foul in the first place, and that is where seadoo might be right about it having to do with the fuel system... (they haven't come to check it)

"Causes of Carbon Fouling:

Continuous low speed driving and/or short trips

Spark plug heat range too cold
    Air-fuel mixture too rich
    Reduced compression and oil usage due to worn piston rings / cylinder walls
    Over-retarded ignition timing
    Ignition system deterioration

Pre-delivery fouling

Carbon fouling occurs when the spark plug firing end does not reach the self-cleaning temperature of approximately 450°C (842°F). Carbon deposits will begin to burn off from the insulator nose when the self-cleaning temperature is reached. When the heat range is too cold for the engine speed, the firing end temperature will stay below 450°C and carbon deposits will accumulate on the insulator nose. This is called carbon fouling. When enough carbon accumulates, the spark will travel the path of least resistance over the insulator nose to the metal shell instead of jumping across the gap. This usually results in a misfire and further fouling.

If the selected spark plug heat range is too cold, the spark plug may begin to foul when the engine speed is low or when operating in cold conditions with rich air-fuel mixtures. In some cases, the insulator nose can usually be cleaned by operating the engine at higher speeds in order to reach the self-cleaning temperature. If the spark plug has completely fouled, and the engine will not operate correctly, the spark plug may need to be cleaned / replaced and the fouling cause identified. "

Waw, its been so long. seadoo has had my boat for months, they gave it back a moth ago but the problem continued. Im about to ask for a physical change under warranty if they cant figure out whats happening with my boat..

I just did a google search and got back to this old post, I see rangermtb5 and MSRXP think it could be a leak in the intercooler, of ALL the thing seadoo supposedly did (that took them months) they never told me anything about any intercooler.

What are the symptoms of a leaky intercooler guys? if it could be that, then its my last hope.

Thanks again and again for your help and feedback!

+1
    In my experience, A leaky IC will cause the ski to hesitate, foul plugs, bog down, etc. If it's leaking, it will contaminate the oil with water and the oil will become brown like a milkshake. Pull the dipstick and see what the oil looks like. Also, water could be present inside the IC pipes and intake manifold.

Ok, ill check for that. Remember mine is the 255hp which means the IC is outside the engine, so does this still mean it will contaminate the engine, oil and intake with water? or will it just leak in the hull? excuse my ignorance... Also, can a leak in the IC cause the engine to overheat? thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information