Winterizing: So why can't you just take a section a hose and.........

When Winterizing why can't you just take a section of hose ,hook it where you flush at and put a funnell on the other end start it up and pour antifreeze in the funnell.Would the gravity feed work and pull the coolant through the hose and take care of your intercooler and manifold? Also when I remove the fuel rail to fog do I need to pinch the fuel line sense it's is under pressure?I'm new to four strokes so please

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HBILLYJET View Post
    When Winterizing why can't you just take a section of hose ,hook it where you flush at and put a funnell on the other end start it up and pour antifreeze in the funnell.Would the gravity feed work and pull the coolant through the hose and take care of your intercooler and manifold? Also when I remove the fuel rail to fog do I need to pinch the fuel line sense it's is under pressure?I'm new to four strokes so please
    You don't need to remove the fuel rail to fog the engine. There is possibly a line that connects to the TB. Put fogging oil in there until the engine dies. Consider yourself fogged....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HBILLYJET View Post
    I have always done exactly what you wrote and never had a problem.

Cheers!

Ed

A few comments:

1. I don't like the concept of injecting fogging oil into the TB and running it. One problem is that you are coating the intercooler with fogging oil. Fogging oil is sticky, and once coated it will reduce the heat exchange properties of the IC and it will attract dust and possibly plug it up later on. The other is that fogging while running burns off a lot of the oil and it won't coat the exhaust valve stems on the older valves, which is one of the main reasons to fog in the first place. Taking off the fuel rail takes maybe a couple minutes at best, and it is easy.

2. You don't need to pinch the hose to keep the injectors from firing. Simply hold the throttle at wide open, which activates the "drowned mode", where the ECU won't inject fuel and spark.

3. Fogging oils vary between brands. The Pennzoil and Stabil brands totally suck; they are basically like diesel fuel. I personally like the Evinrude Johnson storage/fogging oil as it really foams up and coats everything really well, better than the BRP stuff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 12timeworldchamps View Post
    I have always done exactly what you wrote and never had a problem.

Cheers!

Ed
    +1

+1
    If you put fogging oil in to the Tb it will not coat the inside of the intercooler as the TB fitted is after intercooler.

Quote Originally Posted by oz_speed View Post
    If you put fogging oil in to the Tb it will not coat the inside of the intercooler as the TB fitted is after intercooler.
    Yes; on an X ski this is true, but not true on the internal intercooler models. The original poster didn't specify which he had.

Thread Information