+1

Oil Pressure Test Results - Help?

Well, I changed both oil pressure switches. Installed the temporary test gauge. Pressure at idle was 90 psi and began to fall to 80 psi (over about 45 seconds on the hose). This is higher than the spec of ~60 psi. I reved it up past 3,500 rpms several times and no check engine light. With revs, the pressure really didn't change that much.

Interesting thing is that when I was blowing out the waterbox and reving it a little higher, the check engine light came on. What say you? What do I need to do next to figure this one out? If it is oil pressure, then it must have a time trigger. Not sure why it only threw the check engine later with higher revs. No codes again.

+1
    You sure it wasn't the exhaust overheat when you were blowing out the waterbox.

+1
    Wouldn't that drop a code? Shrabber said in my other thread that 80+ is normal cold. Not sure if less than a minute is long enough to find out what's going on in the oil system. One things for sure, the pumps are pumping.

+1
    Any ideas on what to do next guys? I'm not sure what the oil pressure test is telling me so far, and I hate to just keep changing sensors at random due to no codes????

I'm just nervous running it a whole bunch more until I know what is going on.

+1
    Looks like the regulator is not regulating. You should take it for a ride or trailer test in the water to see if the oil pressure comes within spec.

Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    Wouldn't that drop a code? Shrabber said in my other thread that 80+ is normal cold. Not sure if less than a minute is long enough to find out what's going on in the oil system. One things for sure, the pumps are pumping.
    You need to run it longer than 1minute to get the oil warm enough, you can just let it idle on the trailer in the water.

+1
    How long do I need to wait for it to come into spec?

There is still something causing the check engine light that has something to do with revs????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Looks like the regulator is not regulating. You should take it for a ride or trailer test in the water to see if the oil pressure comes within spec.
    I am with BD ... but get it in the water and warmed up, then check pressure as you increase throttle. Often if you get the codes after replacing both switches, it is due to oil pressure being too high as you increase rpms, and that is due to a stuck/faulty regulator.

+1
    Like rxp6 says, You must get it to operating tempature or you are spinning your wheels. Leave it as level as you can on trailer in water after 15 Minutes if your oil pressure is above 35 Psi your golden. The threshold is for the light to come on is 26-32, So 35 Psi at idle after 15 minutes your mechanically sound. Also make sure when you rev the m otor you see a increase of Oil pressure from 35 Psi

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    front sensor plug right way round? steel clip facing the motor not the tank, seen many get it wrong.

Thread Information