Thread: vipec and fx ho

vipec and fx ho

noticed most are using vipec on the newer sho's and ski's with throttle by wire ect. but wondering since it seems almost a universal ems if it could be used on a fxho? or a ski with a fxho swap and wanting to be able to tune the engine a little more. or is it even worth it? I know id have to make my own harness or repin my existing one. not that big of a deal

or would an r&d powershot be better for a stock motor with minimal bolt on aftermarket modifications.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slociviccoupe View Post
    noticed most are using vipec on the newer sho's and ski's with throttle by wire ect. but wondering since it seems almost a universal ems if it could be used on a fxho? or a ski with a fxho swap and wanting to be able to tune the engine a little more. or is it even worth it? I know id have to make my own harness or repin my existing one. not that big of a deal

or would an r&d powershot be better for a stock motor with minimal bolt on aftermarket modifications.

Just so I understand correctly,
    Your asking about an Fx 160 or a 1.8n/a motor?

If your talking about the 2008 and newer Fx ho that uses the 1.8n/a motor then the Vipec is a good choice. It gives you the ability to adjust your engine limits based on the performance your engine is built for. You have all the Ecu's capabilities like logging and live tune etc... If your planning a move to a turbo then it would be an easy step over. There is also a configuration file available for the Vipec ecu on the Riva/Vipec ecu website for this engine.

If your referring to a 160 engine then it is possible to use this engine as long as the crank/cam trigger pattern is compatible. Keep in mind that this engine is not really a good place to start with for a performance application for turbo or supercharger ( I would recommend a 1.8 swap if this is the plan ). You will have to build a harness and get all the engine's sensor calibrations for this engine to work successfully.

If you want to expand a little on what your after I will try to help more. Please include the year and engine displacement for me.

speaking about the fx ho 160. not trying to turbo or supercharge as the aftermarket rods, pistons, ect get very pricy. was already going to go the n/a route with higher compression till finding pistons became a pia!
    but I am doing minimal mods like velocity stacks, free flow exhaust and gutted waterbox. i have noticed these ski's run rich at idle. you can smell the air fuel ratio being rich. with the simple mods and an a/f guage i would imagine needing to be able to tune it. and i don't think the stock ecu has enough correction in it. and the cost of a r&d fuel controller then sending it all to r&d to have them reflash it is more than a vipec. Im very familliar with stand alone ems on cars but first time tuning on a ski. ive previously used motec, aem ems, microtech, and dta fast.

i know the mr-1 isn't the prefered swap but i have one and an xlt1200 hull to put it in. and straight put can't find or afford the new 1.8l. also im just wanting a nice 4 stroke to be able to hit the button and it start everytime and be low maintnance. also be able to run on whatever fuel i can find and not be a striclty high octane ski. i do want to go to the bahamas on this thing. so reliability is key. I just think there is a little bit more in the mr-1 than what yamaha gave us to work with. and thinking vipec because it will work with the stock guages. motec won't. or i may be fooled and the velocity stacks and free flow exhaust with gutted waterbox might just be enough that the ecu doesn't run rich like it does stock.

4. +1 by:

Thread Information