Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Stuffed, got bucked off my 2005 RXP

Had a big surprise yesterday ... got pitched off my RXP at WOT going over 80 mph. I guess I found another bad combination of parts that will cause a P to stuff/buck. I switched to a heat exchanger, 'glassed the holes in the hull shut and installed a Riva plate (and new pump shoe). I have two Riva grates, a R&D grate, and the stock grate. Since the stock grate is the fastest in calm water, I put that one on to do some testing. I think the combination of the Riva plate and the stock grate is not a good combination ...

I had ridden this combo for a few weeks, but never GPSd it and mostly just enjoyed riding and rarely stayed WOT. On Saturday, the weather was great and I stayed WOT for 30 seconds in flat calm water ... noticed a slight porpoise, then BAM! Rear came up a little, nose dove, and it turned hard left and I was off. Got lucky, had time to tuck and roll, no damage done, but it shocked me a bit ... never had this ever before with this ski. Did a thorough check of the ski, plate, grate, shoe, all good, nothing out of place. Rode again today, no issues, but I did NOT go WOT for very long.

Just curious if others have been bucked off a P ... guessing I was going somewhere between 82 and 84 mph, so not fast enough to cause a buck on a P usually. I intend to switch to the R&D grate and my season is done, but I am curious if anyone else has had this happen on a P at such relatively low/normal speeds.

+1
    Glad you're ok.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Had a big surprise yesterday ... got pitched off my RXP at WOT going over 80 mph. I guess I found another bad combination of parts that will cause a P to stuff/buck. I switched to a heat exchanger, 'glassed the holes in the hull shut and installed a Riva plate (and new pump shoe). I have two Riva grates, a R&D grate, and the stock grate. Since the stock grate is the fastest in calm water, I put that one on to do some testing. I think the combination of the Riva plate and the stock grate is not a good combination ...

I had ridden this combo for a few weeks, but never GPSd it and mostly just enjoyed riding and rarely stayed WOT. On Saturday, the weather was great and I stayed WOT for 30 seconds in flat calm water ... noticed a slight porpoise, then BAM! Rear came up a little, nose dove, and it turned hard left and I was off. Got lucky, had time to tuck and roll, no damage done, but it shocked me a bit ... never had this ever before with this ski. Did a thorough check of the ski, plate, grate, shoe, all good, nothing out of place. Rode again today, no issues, but I did NOT go WOT for very long.

Just curious if others have been bucked off a P ... guessing I was going somewhere between 82 and 84 mph, so not fast enough to cause a buck on a P usually. I intend to switch to the R&D grate and my season is done, but I am curious if anyone else has had this happen on a P at such relatively low/normal speeds.
    Did you say stock grate... Nothing to hold you down. You need the riva at least to prevent the bow from rising too much in combination with the riva plate causing the over stuff. I cannot believe you are still using the stock grate. Glad you are ok... But wow.....

+1
    Glad your OK Vern..

+1
    Wow, Glad your ok! I wonder if better speed / results would be possible, with Pressure reliefs installed on the same setup?

+1
    Hindsight is 20/20 of course ... bad combination? Yup, but I never heard of anyone else stuffing with any setup on a P, and the stock grate is easily 1 mph faster in calm water. I don't recall reading about anyone else running this combo, and obviously I would not recommend anyone else trying it either, but I did not think it would cause a stuff/buck on a P.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Wow, Glad your ok! I wonder if better speed / results would be possible, with Pressure reliefs installed on the same setup?
    Maybe ... but as you know, once you get tossed at speed, you get gun-shy. I don't know if I would dare to try it again, but I imagine pressure relief valves would likely cure it.

+1
    Vern, I'm glad you're okay.

Stock grate fastest on calm water? This is completely not true according to all my testing back when I used to modify the RXP's. This is a very dangerous thing to do. I sure hope nobody is using a stock grate on a modified RXP.

+1
    Helluva way to end the season! You don't think this 80* weather will last? I'm going to try to milk a few more weeks, then it's tucked awy for the year. Glad you are uninjured.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Vern, I'm glad you're okay.

Stock grate fastest on calm water? This is completely not true according to all my testing back when I used to modify the RXP's. This is a very dangerous thing to do. I sure hope nobody is using a stock grate on a modified RXP.
    Thanks for posting Jerry ... I did not realize the stock grate was dangerous on modded Ps. My bad ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information