07 ultra250x with 08 new engine and is much slower

Just wanted to say great forum you guys have hear, been reading a while but first post.

I was looking for some answers to my questions regarding my 07 ultra 250X. This summer the engine went at 48 Hours. Took it to the local shop and they were told by Kawasaki to put the newer 08 engine in. In order to do this they had to replace with the new pump, pump housing and impeller. I was very lucky as I got everything done under the good guys warranty and it did not cost me a cent.
    After 8 weeks I got the jet ski back and took it out the first time with my 6 year old daughter and just putted around at 35 to 45 MPH with an occassional burst to full speed. Then this weekend since the weather was so nice in PA I took it out to see how it runs. While it still feels fast I am only able to get 60 MPH on the speedo when before I could easily get 65 MPH.
    Could the speedo be off because of the newer pump? Also, I thought it was odd but they did not replace the plugs. They put the plugs back in that were in the 07 motor and they have 10 hours on them. Are the plugs for the 07 and 08's the same? I plan on putting in a new set of plugs this week. Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ed

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by acellr8 View Post
    Just wanted to say great forum you guys have hear, been reading a while but first post.

I was looking for some answers to my questions regarding my 07 ultra 250X. This summer the engine went at 48 Hours. Took it to the local shop and they were told by Kawasaki to put the newer 08 engine in. In order to do this they had to replace with the new pump, pump housing and impeller. I was very lucky as I got everything done under the good guys warranty and it did not cost me a cent.
    After 8 weeks I got the jet ski back and took it out the first time with my 6 year old daughter and just putted around at 35 to 45 MPH with an occassional burst to full speed. Then this weekend since the weather was so nice in PA I took it out to see how it runs. While it still feels fast I am only able to get 60 MPH on the speedo when before I could easily get 65 MPH.
    Could the speedo be off because of the newer pump? Also, I thought it was odd but they did not replace the plugs. They put the plugs back in that were in the 07 motor and they have 10 hours on them. Are the plugs for the 07 and 08's the same? I plan on putting in a new set of plugs this week. Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ed
    Ensure that they have done 300x pump shaft upgrades.

If the have not make sure you do it asap

Waz

dont trust the speedo. Get a gps, otherwise you are just guessing.

Banned User
    +1
    X2 to the above I will almost bet they gave you a new 08 pump assy and dod not upgrade it to the 2010- or 2011 set up get that done ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Ensure that they have done 300x pump shaft upgrades.

If the have not make sure you do it asap

Waz
    Just got off the phone with the Kawasaki shop that did the motor, he said he believes it is the 300X spec bearings. He said the bearings they put in it basically added one more or something like that. Does that sound about right?

Any idea's why it could be running a little slower? Will definitely try a GPS. Also, should I change the plugs are the 07 and 08 plugs the same?

Thanks
    Ed

+1
    same plugs if there not fouling they are ok

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    I would buy a new set of CR9EIX plugs and slap them in there , just to be assured you are running on good plugs.

Thread Information