Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Could it be MPEM??? Please say is isn't so....

SO i purchased this 99 GTX carb for cheap. PO said it injested water. Had to do a complete top end. Ski looks good. Got the engine back in and try to crank. It will not turn over. I did the code test and I get no beeps. Fuses all good. Starter switch good. Good relay. You can power the relay and it cranks. I did notice there is a current draw on the battery with or without the lanyard on. This shouldn't be eh? Pulls about .12 amps. I suspect the MPEM is toast. Any way to test or have it repaired.

What you guys think?

+1
    that ski's mpem is a known problem child. The easiest way to test it is to put it (your mpem) into a good running machine to see if it works correctly or not.

+1
    Dont have anyone around to test. Maybe someone will speak up near Mississippi or Louisianna

+1
    I would check the grounds specially the single one that goes to the magneto cover. If the engine ingested water you may have a short on the cables. A bad ground could lead to no comunication betwen the lanyard and the MPEM. Any blown fuses ?

+1
    I'll re-check that ground, but I think it is all good. The mpem is pulling current which I dont think is normal. I suspect if I leave the battery connected, it"ll go dead in a few hours. No blown fuses. All check good. Pulling the 5 amp in the mpem and reconnecting I can hear a mild arc in power transfer.

+1
    I've got a bad MPEM from a 99 GTX that you can use to test with. Oh.. Damnit that won't help you.

+1
    Pulled all the sensors and connectors 1 and 2. Used another Mpem (uncertain of it condition though) Same out come when plugging in connector #3. It's pulling current somewhere. Grounds all good. No chirp using the Dess of the other mpem.

+1
    when you push the start stop button the info comes on? Maybe the dess post is open and dont recognize the lanyard. 951 MPEM has integrated voltage regulator. Sometimes if shorted it may cause a current draw but the engine may crank. Typicaly you would notice a burn spot in the area of the regulator (Like a little square on the mpem. ) Also an open pin on the connectors may be causing an open circuit. Some models have a ground that travels al the way back to the rear ignition coils are. Just to dont discard anything before tearing down the ski jeje..

+1
    I get nothing with either the lanyad on or off. I tried to go the code route and pushed the start/stop 5 times to get it to beep to put the lanyard on. Nothing. Even if the lanyard or dess is not programed, I should still be able to get the diag code to initialize right?

I havent started the pin by pin breakout. I did check power to the mpem and grounds. I did not check all black wires into the mpem yet though. I am sort of keying on the .12 constant draw. It has to indicate something. Maybe a hot wire corroding into a ground or something.

The ignition coils are a good ground as well as the starter cylinoid. I think it is grounded through a separate ground to the front of the mag case if I remember correctly.

I am hoping that there is something simple. Will the computer diag program initialize without connector 1 and 2? I want to keep the trouble shooting simple and get rid of all possibilities.

+1
    Have you checked the wires in the hood that go to the DESS post, and the start button? I've seen them chewed up before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information