1994 sugar sands mirage

i just aquired a 1994 sugar sands mirage jet boat with a 90 hp merc sportjet for free. the motor was blown and removed but mostly together. i did a compression test on the bench and the readings were from top to bottom 150, 150, 120. so i pulled the head off and saw a blown head gasket on the lower cylinder and then continued to pull it all apart and noticed the piston on the lower cylinder was scored all to hell but not the sleeve. im assuming the boat was run in the shallows and sucked up pebbles and clogged the water jacket (was full of pebbles) and overheated and blew the head gasket and then sucked in the pebbles and scored the piston. my problem is that the motor serial number label is unreadable and i need to find out the right piston and head gasket to get for it. and i could use the torque specs or somewhere to download the manual for it. this boat is in near mint condition and i wanna get it back up and running. i will take any and all advice ican get on this. motor is in my basement alll taken apart on my CLEAN bench and boat is outside cleaned , waxed and covered for the winter. motor will be rebuilt over the winter. any advice ? do's or dont's ? this is my first jet boat . i have 6 jetskis and a bayliner bowrider and i think this is gonne be more fun then all of them.
    thanks in advance

anybody have a clue about these on here ?

ok how about pointing me in the direction for the torque specs for the merc 90 hp sportjet motor ????? anybody ????

helloooooooo is there anybody out there ????????

ok thanks , i guess im on my own for this one too. 53 views and no one has anything to add to help a guy out.

wow 68 views now. and not a soul knows anything .. ok see ya i will find anither site that a little more friendly and willing to share.. mods you can delete my account. i wont be back .

+1
    Try using the search button, not alot here have little jet boats.

Search the web. Don't get your panties in a wad.

Mercury, they still build motors, call your local dealer... Are you waiting for a hand out from the government too?

+1
    Click on the red boxes on page two to view that section,

http://motorka.org/doc/mercury/servi...96r1/cover.pdf

ok well its been a little while since ive been on here and return with a better attitude. first off thank you beerdart for your information and secondly cigarlust.. no im not waiting for a handout and that was extremely uncalled for. i take handouts from NO ONE. i now own a service manual. a real book not a freebie on the internet. ok im over it . on to my question....

i have a 1996 mercury 120xr sport jet and i need pistons for it. places i have looked say they are obsolete. does anyone have a source to buy them from. ( is that asking for a handout?) i will also be needing them for my 1994 mercury 90 hp sport jet. i have 2 jet boats that both need a rebuild. i want to have his and her jet boats on my lake very soon. thanks in advance for any help.

Hey - I have owned two jet boats! Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by hypersniper2010 View Post
    ok well its been a little while since ive been on here and return with a better attitude. first off thank you beerdart for your information and secondly cigarlust.. no im not waiting for a handout and that was extremely uncalled for. i take handouts from NO ONE. i now own a service manual. a real book not a freebie on the internet. ok im over it . on to my question....

i have a 1996 mercury 120xr sport jet and i need pistons for it. places i have looked say they are obsolete. does anyone have a source to buy them from. ( is that asking for a handout?) i will also be needing them for my 1994 mercury 90 hp sport jet. i have 2 jet boats that both need a rebuild. i want to have his and her jet boats on my lake very soon. thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry to hear you can't find pistons. I'd check e-bay - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...tons&_osacat=0

if you can't find them there perhaps call wisco to see if they can provide them for you - http://www.wiseco.com/

Good luck - post up some pictures!

Gary

Thread Information