Maintenance/Winterizing '04 XLT1200

Hello, I have an '04 XLT1200 Waverunner. I am a Newbie with 2 strokes so I had a few questions I was wondering if anyone could help me out with.

First of all, we have reached the end of the season in my area. What all do I need to do to winterize it? I have been running Non-Ethanol gas so that should be OK but not sure if I need to drain anything, clean anything, etc.

Second, I have heard a sometimes common cause of failure for the Oil Injected 2 strokes is having the injector fail and locks up the engine up before you know what happened. Is it recommended to just replace this pump every X number of hours/years to make sure it does not go bad or is there another way to help prevent failure?

Third, can someone tell me the procedure and correct product to use when cleaning the carb?

Thanks!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jason78 View Post

Second, I have heard a sometimes common cause of failure for the Oil Injected 2 strokes is having the injector fail and locks up the engine up before you know what happened. Is it recommended to just replace this pump every X number of hours/years to make sure it does not go bad or is there another way to help prevent failure?

Thanks!!
    From what I understand, the oil pump rarely fails. The problem is that the oil lines fall off the carb. The solution to this is to remove the oil pump, install a block off kit, and convert to premix at 32:1.

Xray is correct the pump does not fail. The lines tend to shrink a little and pull from the fittings. You can purchase a kit with okiter clamps that will permanently fix the issue of the hoses coming loose. You dont have to pre-mix just to solve this issue.

+1
    Jason,

Allot an afternoon to sitting at your computer reading Greenhulk posts. Use search. It's all here.

Dump in some fuel stabilizer and fill your tank.

Winterizing & carb rebuilding are all detailed in past posts.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Xray is correct the pump does not fail. The lines tend to shrink a little and pull from the fittings. You can purchase a kit with okiter clamps that will permanently fix the issue of the hoses coming loose. You dont have to pre-mix just to solve this issue.
    Thanks for the advice. I would definitely rather install these clamps than mess with Pre-Mixing. Do you have a sugestion on a specific kit (part number) that would have the correct sizes for this task?

Quote Originally Posted by toyterrific View Post
    Jason,

Allot an afternoon to sitting at your computer reading Greenhulk posts. Use search. It's all here.

Dump in some fuel stabilizer and fill your tank.

Winterizing & carb rebuilding are all detailed in past posts.

Good Luck.
    Is there a recommended fuel stablizer that I should consider?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Thread Information