Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

best size throttle body

hi guys i want to up grade my throttle body n just want to know what would be the best size to put in or bigger the better and do i need to use the idle motor as i can get some throttle body from 60mm 65mm 70mm 75mm 90mm that will bolt on but dosent have a spot to put the idle motor on
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKp!E5(8rv0G5BOjC99PHEg~~60_12.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	256052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TB024-2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	256051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	167904047_tp.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	256054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqUOKj0E3)BSEhJJBN+9sm5D1g~~_12.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	256053

Quote Originally Posted by aus83rxp View Post
    hi guys i want to up grade my throttle body n just want to know what would be the best size to put in or bigger the better and do i need to use the idle motor as i can get some throttle body from 60mm 65mm 70mm 75mm 90mm that will bolt on but dosent have a spot to put the idle motor on
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKp!E5(8rv0G5BOjC99PHEg~~60_12.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	256052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TB024-2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	256051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	167904047_tp.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	256054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqUOKj0E3)BSEhJJBN+9sm5D1g~~_12.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	256053
    what motor are you talking about ??

4tec sc,turbo or n/a?

i know that the 60mm to 61mm works best, this is what i use i my race skis.

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    Here is what I use:http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150760
    Please notice the stainless steel butterfly!

4tec sc but later turbo

i have one right now 70mm n tapers down to 60mm butterfly is brass

+1
    Unless you have a stand alone ECU this will be difficult to do.

The stock ECU uses the idle control and will throw codes if its not there, finding a aftermarket TB that accepts both the TPS and idle motor will be difficult.

You would have to get the TPS re-set, which is possible at your dealer using BUDS. If you have stand alone then its easy, you dont have to use idle control motor, just adjust the idle screw and you can run any TPS you like and calibrate it in the software.

On the stock intake manifold the hole behind the throttlebody is like 65mm i belive, so there is little point being bigger then that, you could look at boring that hole out to run say 70mm, I dont think you would ever need to go above that.

Anything is possible its just more difficult using the stock sensors and idle control on the stock ECU.

R88

+1
    Best tb is stock.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Unless you have a stand alone ECU this will be difficult to do.

The stock ECU uses the idle control and will throw codes if its not there, finding a aftermarket TB that accepts both the TPS and idle motor will be difficult.

You would have to get the TPS re-set, which is possible at your dealer using BUDS. If you have stand alone then its easy, you dont have to use idle control motor, just adjust the idle screw and you can run any TPS you like and calibrate it in the software.

On the stock intake manifold the hole behind the throttlebody is like 65mm i belive, so there is little point being bigger then that, you could look at boring that hole out to run say 70mm, I dont think you would ever need to go above that.

Anything is possible its just more difficult using the stock sensors and idle control on the stock ECU.

R88
    i ran a aftermarket tb 70 mm. you can cut of the stepper motor of the stock tb drill a hole in front of the tb and behind the tb and connect it to the stock cutoff stepper motor. if you use an aftermarket tb get one that uses a 3 wire omni tps that you can calibrate by moving or find one that lets you adapt the stock tps. about the bigger tb's, they give you better midrange but you loose buttom end torque on a fully built turbo. like roy said you have to have a intake manifold to match. in my opinion a bored out stock tb gives you a happy medium.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpdoo View Post
    i ran a aftermarket tb 70 mm. you can cut of the stepper motor of the stock tb drill a hole in front of the tb and behind the tb and connect it to the stock cutoff stepper motor. if you use an aftermarket tb get one that uses a 3 wire omni tps that you can calibrate by moving or find one that lets you adapt the stock tps. about the bigger tb's, they give you better midrange but you loose buttom end torque on a fully built turbo. like roy said you have to have a intake manifold to match. in my opinion a bored out stock tb gives you a happy medium.
    Good info, like I said, its not impossible but it is difficult. As you say tho getting the stock TB taken out to 60-62mm is best option.

Im looking into options for a 70mm TB, I have it easy tho as im not running idle control anyway and have the Haltech so can run any TPS I like and calibrate it easy.

R88

ive been planning to get the Ross mod done to my OEM TB for a while now. I'd lie to get it done this winter. But I haven't come across any threads bragging on the mod. So, are there any known power gains to doing this (with a 4in air intake installed)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information