Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TURBO or BIG SC on open sea?

I already check up all the Threads about TURBO and i didn’t found an answer.
    As the majority on here I want MORE, so I already had an ET-68-140 on my PWC, now im waiting the RXPX 2012 to play with….
    Now the question?, I’m planning to use it open sea and sometimes wave jumping, but mostly will use it on circuit (always choppy)…ive read on here that a Rude 3 and open sea are not a good idea.
    So which would be the gains on using a TURBO. About the internals I will only upgrade the valve spring and retainers as a result of a reflash on the ECU and im planning having 16-18 psi MAX because I don’t wanna change the intake and use other type of gas.
    i already learn all about tunning and AFR´s with the Rude controller...., so right now im in between a ET 68-140 and a Turbo setup...
    So what are the pros an cons..?

+1
    Well, im no expert and im sure some guys who are will chime in. But i would personally go turbo because if you're riding open sea coming unhooked all the time thats putting constant wear on you SC clutch, with a turbo there is no clutch so when you come unhooked it'll just free spool down until you are back on the gas. So in other words there is no constant engaging and un-engaging as you bounce out of the water.

just my .02

+1
    Go turbo in my opinion. The constant hooking and unhooking in chop or surf is a supercharger killer. They don't like it. Add to the fact that larger wheels are gonna wear the clutches faster and you can see why my choice would be turbo.

What about the power at the same psi, the SC needs to be moved by the engine and the Turbo needs the exhaust air that also consume the power of the motor, but who spend more....
    Im running a TDR water box (amazing sound)..., and i would not use it if decided to go turbo (so how it sounds with a turbo)? louder?
    many thanks for all the answers...

+1
    No, to spin a turbo you aren't using any power from the motor, you are simply using the exhaust gasses which leave the EM at speed which then spools the turbo, where as to spin a SC you are actually using the motor itself to turn in. There was a thread about powerloss due to SC, i forget what percent. The only down side to a turbo is the Lag, that being said if you run a small enough turbo that lag will be minimal as it will take then RPM's to spool to max PSI. But thats a two edged sword because a fast spooling turbo usually fall on its face at High RPM's....Where a bigger turbo takes longer to spool but once its going look out!

+1
    High compression with a smaller charger like an et137 or so. 10:1 pistons is what I would run. A heat exchanger with Riva plate as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oct6454 View Post
    No, to spin a turbo you aren't using any power from the motor, you are simply using the exhaust gasses which leave the EM at speed which then spools the turbo, where as to spin a SC you are actually using the motor itself to turn in!
    This is completely false. Turbos do take engine power to run. There's no free lunch, turbos increase pumping losses, due to increased backpressure. Is it as significant as a supercharger? No.. But its far from free

+1
    im a big turbo/high compression lover, but after going for a ride on a *properly* tuned turbo rxp, i wasnt impressed as i am with a big supercharger and an ecu.

SO,
    In between going a SC ET 68-140 and a Turbo GT30. (both with a 8600RPM ecu) what would be tha gains ?
    I imagine the holeshot will be the SC ?
    One more question, this is open sea, so i dont wanna take salt inside the motor, im thinking on using a Riva Thermostat (this is enough, or its difficult to mantain the temp like that and i will need an open loop system )?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbaronio View Post
    SO,
    In between going a SC ET 68-140 and a Turbo GT30. (both with a 8600RPM ecu) what would be tha gains ?
    I imagine the holeshot will be the SC ?
    One more question, this is open sea, so i dont wanna take salt inside the motor, im thinking on using a Riva Thermostat (this is enough, or its difficult to mantain the temp like that and i will need an open loop system )?
    If you are staying stock compression with an et 68/140. I would do Riva plate with heat ex setup with the tstat mod. U can find all the info here bro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information