MSX 150/max speed 3 mph

2004 MSX 150 Turbo

After letting friends go for a ride they were unable to stay up on the ski, dumping it several times. When they returned it would only go approx 3 mph. A red light was showing on the dashboard along with a temp gauge indicator. The ski will crank and idle but will not accellerate at all. Any ideas?

Installed flush kit, some gravel was pushed out. Red warning light did not come on. Took it out on the water and it ran fine for about 5 min. Same thing, red light comes on, check engine warning then the temp indicator. Seems like once the engine gets hot it goes into a safe mode and shuts down. Would only go 3-5 mph.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by apdrt; 10-21-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Well I got some bad news and some worse news for you.

The bad news is the MSX 110 and 150 are not skis that you ever want dumping over, especially if you do not have the oil resivoir upgrade kit. The breather hose for the engine oil dumps right into the airbox which is hooked directly to the turbo compressor. Tipping the ski has a tendancy to allow oil into this breather hose which will dump into the air intake and gum up the whole system, especially if it mixes with water which it may have. There are two manifold pressure sensors (MAP sensors), one on the intake after the intercooler before it gets to the throttle body, and another on the side of the intake manifold. Taking these off after dumping you are probably going to find oil all over them. This will throw off what the engine is expecting for a reading from them and will put your ski in limp mode.

The worse news is that you need to either take it to a Polaris dealer like it says in the manual to do after dumping the ski, or clean out the whole air intake yourself. This scenerio happened to my family and we spent the better part of a day taking the intake all apart and cleaning it. Getting the intercooler out of the ski to clean is a pain but it can be done through the front over the gas tank. I had to take out my air inlet hoses and handlebar assembly to get it out. Flushed everything in a solvent cleaner then with water a couple times. I could not get the intake manifold off readilly so I just used starting fluid to dissolve and clean as much of the oil from the inside of it as I could. I cleaned the MAP sensors and was lucky they still worked, but we ended up having to replace the O2 sensor (or turbo sensor as the parts manual calls it). That was $250 itself. Anyhow, after replacing all those our ski still ran crappy for a bit at 45 mph, then it just opened up again and has been working since.

Hope this explination helps your situation.

+1
    No Idea where you are located but John Zigler in Janesville WI will work on Polaris Skis, and hes damn good at it!

Will he work on the Weber 4-strokes though?

+1
    He works on pretty much anything, find him on here and send him a PM John Zigler

+1

Oh wow! Didn't realize he was employee/owner/persons with WatCon. Cool!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Oh wow! Didn't realize he was employee/owner/persons with WatCon. Cool!
    He bought the Watcon name/rights and Randy's inventory.

Thread Information