Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1

Yamaha Wear Ring discussion

I'm pretty anal about how good I clean my ski after every ride. My ski only has 76 hours on it and always on a trailer and never left overnight. So here's my most recent discovery when I went to replacer prop. I found a bump in my wear ring that was hitting my stock prop. I had a .035" gap between the prop and wear ring.... Mo wonder it feels like I've been going slower!

So I cut out the ring to get a better view:

now you know why it swelled
    has this seen alot of saltwater?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96Waveventure700 View Post
    now you know why it swelled
    has this seen alot of saltwater?
    I know exactly why it happened. Yes, it is in salt water 97 percent of it's life. I am a professional yacht mechanic (recently became an equipment mechanic - tired of crawling in bilges & hydraulics is my professional trade!). Hence my anal-ness to clean everything so thoroughly after every ride. Salt water was a factor. The other factor is that Yamaha put a stainless ring into an aluminum housing. Two non-like metals that really don't get along in the salt environment. There had to be some spot that allowed just a little bit of salt water to get between the ring and housing causing the oxidization to get worse between the two until one part pushed the ring into my prop. Once there was even the smallest hole, it just got worse like uncontrolled cancer!

+1
    I think your wear ring was putting out 1.3 volts DC..

+1
    I always stop at a freshwater ramp to dunk my rig & run the ski on the trailer for a couple minutes on my way home from the ocean before I flush & rinse everything with salt-away once I get home. I also do lots of salt riding I've never had a liner swell on me like that, & this method also does wonders for the longevity of your trailer springs & hardware. It doesn't matter how thorough I am with the hose, nothing seems to work as well for me as the powered rinse.

+1
    300 totally saltwater hrs on my FXHO...........Pump housing is always really well rinsed......all water wet vac'd out & whole area sprayed with Fluid Film after every ride. Liner is still spot on & clearence is well within tolerance. From what I have read though, can be luck of the draw!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    300 totally saltwater hrs on my FXHO...........Pump housing is always really well rinsed......all water wet vac'd out & whole area sprayed with Fluid Film after every ride. Liner is still spot on & clearence is well within tolerance. From what I have read though, can be luck of the draw!
    At some point, a small rock could have gone throuh and put the first "ding" in the ring? I know I've been at the beach with friends and watch them come back, and I have to yell at them to hit the kill button (as they are climing off...)

I saw the teflon rings on shopsbt.com and was wondering if the stock yamaha housing can be taken to a machine shop for them to fit? Has anyone ever ordered a SBT wear ring?

+1
    I got the IR housing, Carls got the housing complete with wear ring.

http://www.islandracing.net/gp1300r.html (bottom of page)

riva makes a 100% stainless wear ring no alum as all
    this prob will not happen with rivas wearring
    also be sure to seal the wearring to the shoe and the stator to the wearring

+1
    Ive used several of the sbt an wsm wear rings in customers skis. Ive never had a complaint or fitment issue or cavitation with either one-Ive always just bought the wsm housing pre machined for there wear ring though. I have no reason to believe a machine shop couldnt machine the housing to accept there liners. Theres good and bad with them imho. Good-you can catch some rocks (which arund here most riders seem to decide to turn there skis off after they beach it and stop-lol) and buy the inexpensive liner and keep replacing. We dont have salt waterso Ive never had a wear ring swell on me here. Bad thing is you loose the durability of the ss wear ing and its resistance to minor happenings that would otherwise render a plastic liner useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    At some point, a small rock could have gone throuh and put the first "ding" in the ring? I know I've been at the beach with friends and watch them come back, and I have to yell at them to hit the kill button (as they are climing off...)

I saw the teflon rings on shopsbt.com and was wondering if the stock yamaha housing can be taken to a machine shop for them to fit? Has anyone ever ordered a SBT wear ring?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information