Thread: Valve train

+1

Valve train

I was wanting to get opinions on should we upgrade the 300's valve train on the skis getting an ECU tune. With several tunes out there already and the V-Tech any day now, I know the RPMs will be getting higher on the skis doing this. Just to help the guys that may tune to keep them from destroying their engines from running higher RPMs, what RPM range should they stay under with the stock valve train or is the oem good enough. I know this is an issue with some other skis. Some people do things without full knowledge of what all could or should be done and I am asking a question I was asked so it can be out on the open forum and discussed.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I dont know enough about the new head design to comment but on the lx and 15f motors I have it from a good source on the non boosted kawi motors 9000 rpms is the limit for reliability, anything higher and the pistons start breaking, even aftermarket. I know this was "fixed" on the 250 and 260 and that on the 300 the pistons are different even from the 250/260. I have looked at the difference and they have taken the large crown out from the 250/260 and have gone to a similar but lower compression ratio style of the 15f. I just looked up some stuff online and while the intake valve is the same part number as in the past the exhaust valve is a different part number. The valve springs are all the same part number as the 2010 260 as well as the seats and retainers. If you used it on the 250/260 I would say that you should use it on the 300 (except exhaust valves they are different.) The cams are also a different part number but I can not comment if they swap.

hope that helps

Sean

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    I was wanting to get opinions on should we upgrade the 300's valve train on the skis getting an ECU tune. With several tunes out there already and the V-Tech any day now, I know the RPMs will be getting higher on the skis doing this. Just to help the guys that may tune to keep them from destroying their engines from running higher RPMs, what RPM range should they stay under with the stock valve train or is the oem good enough. I know this is an issue with some other skis. Some people do things without full knowledge of what all could or should be done and I am asking a question I was asked so it can be out on the open forum and discussed.
    You can buy Valve springs and retainers for the Kawi ZX-10.

Banned User
    +1
    8350for extended periods. Is safe limit for the avg joe 8500 for the mechanically minded

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nils888 View Post
    You can buy Valve springs and retainers for the Kawi ZX-10.
    The ones I use are for a zx12r, the head is nearly identical to the zx12r.

Sean

Thread Information