Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What impeller to use?!?

Ok so im very new to the the whole pwc scene, i picked up a 2005 rxt for a steal but it needs a new wear ring. So i figure i would change the inpeller as well as i looks to have seen better days. Over the winter i will be putting in a rrfpr and a x charger and 4 inch intake. The rest of the machine is stock. My questions are 1 what impeller to use and what wear ring and 2 do i need to do any other supporting mods with the x charger and rrfpr with 4 inch intake? Will i be ok with just that? I would rather not put a through hull exhaust on as i dont wanna loose the stearing assist

Stainless wear ring and an external IC

edit: i cant speak for an impeller for RXT, but a 15/20 is generally a great choice for those mods - which i also have (on my RXP)

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    If you only plan to do an X charger, and 4" air intake...... all you need is 42# injectors, no RRFPR needed (in most cases.... but it's good to have!). A solas 14/19 would probably be a good prop to start with.... and tweek it as needed.

Im doing the rrfpr beCause my stock regulator nipple is craxked and leaking fuel, one of the reasone i got the machine so cheap. And i plan on going bigger next year. So for me to buy a stock regulator fuelpump assembly is a waste in my mind. Do i need the injectors with the regulator? Im not a noob when it comes to forced induction, worked on wrx's and sti's for 8 years modding for a dealership and have other forced induc toys. My main concern is the impeller as i have the jet pump off right now doing the carbon seal and wear ring. Is the stainless ring worth the money?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    The X charger adds 3 more pounds of boost over the 215 charger..... you definitely want to run a set of Bosch 42# injectors with the addition of it!

Stock wear ring is much softer of course. I have roughly 190hrs on my first and only stainless ring!
    And thats while living here in the desert and sucking rocks through it twice now... Still not nearly enough damage to replace it yet (just a few basic or minor scars/scratches - no wear grooves). big rocks the first time, and smaller rocks the 2nd time. Granted, you have to repair the impeller when that happens, but that's no different if I would have had OEM ring in place. This way, I get better performance from stainless ring which doesn't have to get replaced along with repairing the impeller

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Stock wear ring is much softer of course. I have roughly 190hrs on my first and only stainless ring!
    And thats while living here in the desert and sucking rocks through it twice now... Still not nearly enough damage to replace it yet (just a few basic or minor scars/scratches - no wear grooves). big rocks the first time, and smaller ricks the 2nd time. Granted, you have to repair the impeller when that happens, but that's no different if I would have had OEM ring in place. This way, I get better performance from stainless ring which doesn't have to get replaced along with repairing the impeller
    190 hours I have steered away from the stainless rings for ONE reason only. If I am 60 miles up river, I don't want to suck a rock up and be stranded. Really the only reason. If you suck a rock, the prop is going to get chewed regardless. Great results.

Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    190 hours
    If you suck a rock, the prop is going to get chewed regardless. Great results.

Yea my ski is at 210hrs now and the SS ring was the first thing I did to it along with a 14/19 back then (at about 20hrs then).

Exactly - rocks are going to jack up the impeller regardless of the ring. So, I've been happy with a ring that doesn't have to get replaced every time something happens. I suck rocks and then I repair/replace impeller. Not impeller + a ring.

I should mention though that this post reminds me that when I sucked up the big rocks on the 1st time, that it was with OEM ring. That was when I replaced it with the SS ring. So, with my SS ring, I've only sucked up rocks once --> the smaller rocks, which passed through the impeller and pump. I was able to have impros repair that impeller.

While thinking about it, it's funny to think how bad my OEM ring was when I bought the ski at 6.8hrs.
    It was sort of grooved out before I even sucked the rocks. And those rocks didn't even pass through. Just wedged the motor to a kill.
    I can only guess the original owner also sucked rocks to make it look bad at 6hrs.

So basicly the stainless ring will give me greater longevity and less replacement intervals? Are the #42 injectors plug and play? No computer upgrades needed? I have a wideband 02 i guess i could prob just weld a bung in and check it out both ways. What afr do these engines like

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information