Unhappy 05 RXT no power/top speed 43 mph

Sorry this is long, I wanted to try and get all the details the first time.

My buddy and I took out two 05 RXTs out riding today and mine didn't seem to have any power. Both have always taken some "warm-up" time since we bought them used a year and a half ago.

Today I unloaded and started it and idled away from the dock (we usually let them idle several minutes). I gave it some gas to speed up a bit (probably only 10-15 mph) and noticed my speedometer not working shut it down so I could check if the wheel was "stuck" - went to restart and it cranked kind of weak and wouldn't start...cranked it a few more times...battery dead. We jumped it with the other one (cranked way stronger) and started up pretty easily but would not go much over idle (with the throttle pinned).

I rode it around for a bit figuring it just needed warming up (and hoping the battery would charge up a bit)...after ~10 minutes it allowed me more power. I could run in the low 40s at ~5500 rpm, but that is the best I could get out of it the rest of the day.

Background:05 model, bought used in late 2010 season with ~55 hours, had the SC rebuilt (because we didn't know the history) before starting this season (both machines), now has ~64 hours. It has always taken a bit of time before the power will come on, I thought it was a warmup I'm thinking something else.

Help me with any ideas, can fix things, but my knowledge of PWCs is not great.

Change the spark plugs. Common problem.

I'll give it a try. Hopefully I can get it out to the lake to try it before the season ends. Thanks.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    Lake Havasu, AZ
    could possibly be the battery/chg system. Is it the original battery?

Nederland, Texas
    Try easy stuff first. Try plugs like Sea Dood said then move on to battery like racenaked said. If the battery is bad and the ski has been sitting a few days it should be slow cranking.

Could be a weak battery caused a weak spark and fouled the plugs.

Its the same battery I bought it with, I don't know if its original. It did manage to charge the battery back up yesterday while riding and I was able to stop/start whenever after I ran it that first 30-45 minutes.

We already have extra replacement stock style plugs, but is there a more recommended plug that you guys use?

Whyalla, South Australia
    Most people stick with the stock plugs.
    If that doesnt fix your problem, maybe borrow your buddies coil packs and see if that solves your problems

Thread Information