Question Keihin carb setup help needed

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've had numerous issues with my ski - most of which have been solved with much help from the members here. Thank you all.
    However, I have an annoying problem that I think comes from the carb setup.
    At full throttle it runs ok & after a few seconds bogs badly. If I let off the throttle for a few seconds & open up again it runs fine until I open up full throttle again & it does the same thing. I've changed the fuel lines, made sure all the connections are tight etc.
    All I can think of is that the carbs may need setting up. I've changed all the gaskets in all 3 carbs & although it was running fine before all this, I'm wondering if I need to adjust the carbs to compensate for the new gaskets etc. I've got a separate issue with the fuel gauge sticking, but I'll be dealing with that as soon as I can work out how to get the damn sender out!

Does anyone have an idiots guide for setting up the Keihin carbs on a 2001 Virage 1200 TX?
    I'm in the uk so the temperature is lower so environmental variables might need to be taken intro account.

Thanks in advance guys.

+1
    when you say, you changed the gaskets in the carbs, did you get carb kits, and are they "genuine kehin" parts, and kits? i ask, because i have personally tried every aftermarket kit available, and have never had any luck with any of them.

i would rebuild, and fully clean the carbs. make sure to use only genuine kehin parts.

also, have you cehecked the fuel select valve? you can test, by simply by-passing it. we also see many of these fail, and cause a restriction.

IMO you should not need to make any carb stetting changes, ( from stock settings) as long as your machine is still stock.

if you have replaced the flame arrestor, with an open element one, or made other engine changes, you may need to rejet to match the new needed fuel requirements.

zig
    Last edited by john zigler; 10-16-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks John,
    The carb kit came from my local Polaris dealer. He had hundreds of individual gaskets in 'workshop bins'. It's hard to say if they're original - I'll drop him a line to check.
    Fuel selector valve has been changed as one of the ports snapped off when removing the old tempo lines. Flame arrestor is still stock.
    The only other thing I can think of is that there may be a blockage in one of the pick-up pipes in the sender. Do you think this is possible? I did run the tank low a while ago to try to get rid of old fuel....

+1
    hard to say. if i have learned one thing, in the 25 yrs of messing with PWC, is "anything is possible"

also make sure, your carbs are clean. all passages, etc.

good luck.

Thread Information