Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    engine bay drain?

    new PWC owner here, literally 2 days ago. Well when I had the battery hooked up, i pushed the bilge button (97 polaris slt 780) and nothing happened, so i just assume its shot. So i used a hand siphon and took out about half gallon of water/gas/oil from inside the engine bay. Theres some more but it in crevises I can't get to with the siphon. I read a thread on here about using degreaser spray and hosing it off...... is the bilge pump the only way to get the water out of the engine bay? There is a drain plug on the rear of the ski, but when i sprayed water into the nose of the ski, it just went into the engine bay and that was it, didn't come out of the plug. (unless the plug is up higher than the water in the bay?)

    Are the engine bays ok to have some water in them or are they supposed to be dry? again, i'm a first time PWC owner, so please be easy on me


  2. #2
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Welcome to the Hulk! Get started here..... http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148277

    Shouldn't have much water in there. Water can collect if the ski sat outside uncovered for a while.....
    If there is quite a bit after a ride, then you may want to start looking for a leak. There are many different locations that water can get in. Search water leak in the forums and read and read and read..... You'll see what some of the others had to do to track it down.....

    The drain at the back of the ski should get excess water out when you are trailering the ski....

    You should check in the electric box to see if the bilge pump has a fuse installed. You will need to do some wire tracing to figure out which is which. It may simply be a fuse.

    Lot's of homework for you to do

  3. #3
    johnsonmtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mt. Zion Illinois
    Posts
    1,250
    +1
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbo268 View Post
    new PWC owner here, literally 2 days ago. Well when I had the battery hooked up, i pushed the bilge button (97 polaris slt 780) and nothing happened, so i just assume its shot.
    The circuit supplying voltage to the bilge pump is only powered when the engine is running. These skis are equipped with pumps rated for continuous dry running. So, the entire time the engine is running so is the bilge pump.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobbo268 View Post
    There is a drain plug on the rear of the ski, but when i sprayed water into the nose of the ski, it just went into the engine bay and that was it, didn't come out of the plug. (unless the plug is up higher than the water in the bay?)
    There are holes formed in the support ribs in the hull that allow the water to make it to the back. Sometimes there can be enough oil and gunk to plug those. You best bet is to get the nose of the ski as high as you can in the air and force all the water to go to the back.

    KJ

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    The circuit supplying voltage to the bilge pump is only powered when the engine is running. These skis are equipped with pumps rated for continuous dry running. So, the entire time the engine is running so is the bilge pump.
    The '97 should have the blue button which can power the bilge at any time. Even when the engine is not running. It may be a blown fuse in the e-box though.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    There are holes formed in the support ribs in the hull that allow the water to make it to the back. Sometimes there can be enough oil and gunk to plug those. You best bet is to get the nose of the ski as high as you can in the air and force all the water to go to the back.

    KJ

    I store all of my trailers with a pipe supporting the tongue about 3' off the ground....so they all are tilted back as far as they can go. I've found with my bigger skis (Genesis & Virage) the footwells collect water and get stained even when they are covered. This method also helps keep the hulls drained.

  5. #5
    thanks for the help guys, and if i'm going to work on the cylinders in the next month or so, do i need to winterize it? if so, what does that consist of? (wisconsin weather)

  6. #6
    well i put the tongue of the trailer on a step ladder probably 4 or 5 feet off the ground, and there is still a bunch of chit stuck in the back ribs (where the small squares are) so either their clogged or that much just stays in there, my oil tank has a leak but its all black gunk (like dirty motor oil), so hopefully thats not a tell tale sign of a bigger problem.....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Spraying down engine bay after riding?
    By smbstyle in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
  2. Rxt - x salt water in engine bay
    By jetski in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 04:14 AM
  3. Help identify this plastic screw I found in the engine bay?
    By Old Atari Nut in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM
  4. Im looking for pics of 4" Kanoflex inside of engine bay
    By MIARider in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 07:38 PM
  5. Engine Bay Foam Blocks
    By sportster in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 03:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •