Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1

Paint for a stock ride plate?

I cleaned most of the corrosion off my stock ride plate and intake grate and a friend asked me if they could be painted to keep the corrosion down somewhat. Not sure about that but thought I'd ask y'all-- would there be any benefit to painting them? I assume their aluminum? Any suggestions? What kind of paint would be best to use?

thanks

Every time I wash my ski I use a green scotchbrite pad and and simple green to clean the ride plate. Once it's dry It gets sprayed with CRC656.

+1
    crc 656? Really?..never entered my mind. I don't ride in salt water all but maybe once a year for a few days- wouldn't their corrosion inhibitor work just as well?

I don't know if that Corrosion Inhibitor leaves a sticky film, as that is the last thing you need on a rideplate.. The CRC656 is kind of like WD40, but friendly on silicone and rubber hoses.

+1
    So this 656 doesn't leave a slick mess like a WD-40 would? It dries? I wonder how long it lasts? My problem is, my ski sits on a jetdock year-round and the back-end can get wet and stay wet. So, I wouldn't be able to apply it very often. The plate is pitted pretty badly and I wonder if it's affecting my speed? I thought about spraying the ride plate with an "outdrive" primer, like they use on boats and then using an epoxy paint after that. Something you can get at West Marine. I'd like to get a new '12 FXHO next Spring and I have a friend who might be interested in my ski so I didn't want to buy a new ride plate or intake grate. Then, I can get a new double trailer with my new ski and the "other" half and I won't be flipping coins to see which ski gets to spend winter in the garage (his is newer so I let him use the single trailer).

+1
    I don't know how much "corrosion" you're seeing; but personally I wouldn't paint the ride plate. Since you don't ride in salt water all the time and you're selling it in a few months, I wouldn't worry about it too much. As for your speed, the main cause for a gradual loss of speed on the Yamahas is usually their restrictive OEM air filters.

Thread Information