04 polaris pwc freedom no spark

i have an 04 polaris freedom with no spark i've changed the stator and gone through all electrical test in the service manual (mostly resistance)does anyone know of a cdi output test or any other suggestions

+1
    Check voltage on the red/pur wire going into the CDI while cranking,needs to be 10.6v or higher for the CDI to turn on.
    After the CDI turns on-it should put out around 8v while cranking on the brown wire.
    Let me know exactly what you get .

i tested the red/purple going to cdi and got a reading of 10.63 and i the brown coming out of cdi and got 8.3v

Just a thought.....You could have bad ground to the ignition coils. If the coils are like on my Genesis I, they are not internally grounded and must have proper contact to the cylinder head. You could also check the lanyard switch and make sure its working properly if you have not done so already.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gonguam View Post
    i tested the red/purple going to cdi and got a reading of 10.63 and i the brown coming out of cdi and got 8.3v
    OK.Sounds like it wakes up.

Check for 8v on the red and green wires from the CDI.(while cranking)
    Next, check voltage on the 2 blk/wht wires going to the coil.One of those wires should have 240-300 volts DC while cranking.(the other will be below 1v which is normal)

checked the green and red wires i'm getting 7.5 to 8 volts. when i tested the blk/white wires going to the coils i was reading 42 volts out of both wires,way out of spec of the 240-300 volts but is that enough to verify that the cdi is bad

+1
    Sorry, I'm assuming you had both blk/wht wires attached to the coil,I should have said one wire would have power with wires disconnected.Reading should still be the same though.

You are sure it's 42v not 0.42v ? (0.42v might mean the CDI is not getting the correct signal)

The last couple CDI's I helped diag-both had low voltage output to the coil (40-60v),both were fixed by replacing CDI-when retesting,both had 240v cranking.
    It's my understanding the CDI has a capacitor inside-that increases the voltage to 240v.

If in fact it has 42v,I'd say the CDI is trying to work (it's getting the signal to fire the coil)-but the capaciter circuit is damaged and not doing it's job.

Check the part # on your CDI,the parts manual shows it being the "High start", latest # is 4010803. I'm pretty sure lugs785 has a used "high start" CDI(tested good by Kedanno).

http://www.partspitstop.com/pages/OemParts

Thread Information