03 gpr800 what can i do?

i have a 03 gpr800 with 19hrs on it to this day. i was looking around and seen reed stuffers, wave eater clips,peice of "exhaust tubing" ride plates,intake grates water box,all aftermarket. what can i do to give me a little umf beside being stock? is there a "bad" way to mode this ski? or if i do this im gonna fubar the motor on the first run... i am not looking for racing i am a granny at running my ski. any help would be usefull thanks again. if need be the highest pump octane i have in IL is 93 shell,bp

reeds and reed stuffers are not going to gain anything on a stock ski. For what you want to do, heres your best route and keep in reliable..
    Intake grate
    ride plate, modified by Jim or Carl
    pump plug kit
    solas concored 11/14 prop
    wave eater clips and coupler...... its for insurance not a mod gain.
    Thats, it leave it with that......anything else requires you touching the carbs and limiting reliability long term with the engine. You should see modest proven gains with that set up!!!!

+1
    Many professional tuners have "package components" which when put together, you get a fast, reliable craft. There are different ways to get speed out of these crafts (some better than others) but the point is to do your research on which one works best for you.

As examples, RIVA Yamaha has "packaged components" that when put together work well. They are just bolt on components. Group K will machine your stock components to get you basicly the same thing as aftermarket components without the high price tag. There are many other pro tuners or shops that have a tried and true combonations that will work.

A "bad" way to mode the ski would be to mix and match these components from different schools of thought. They may work together, but then again they may work against each other creating problems for the owner. For the non tuner it is best to "Dance with the one who brought you".... that is to stay true to the tuners that put your combination together. They are the ones that did all the engineering work and research, and you are paying for it. Take advantage of their skills and enjoy the ride.

ok so if i go and buy those simple hop ups, is it worth to get the riva/r&d exhasut also or pointless? i like the sound of 2stroke but with a little nicer exhasut note it make it "seem" like a beast...lol......they need to make JDM parts for these things like they have for cars.

Free flow on a stock 800 is useless. MAYBE a very small gain in bottom end but you will loose some of the back pressure needed on the top end.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Free flow on a stock 800 is useless. MAYBE a very small gain in bottom end but you will loose some of the back pressure needed on the top end.
    See, this is my very point. For some, the bottom end may be an important issue, and for others, it is purely a waste of money. Figure what ever YOU want first, THEN find the proper combo.

In the car world, some components that are a must in straight line racing are a waste of money on a round track. It is no different with personal watercrafts. People ride in different environments under different scenarios

What kind of water do you ride in? rough/smooth/ocean/lakes

Do you ride 1 up or with a passenger?

Will you be racing, cruising, fishing, etc.

Will you jump waves?

Are you a good tuner? You may have to set up to make it bullet proof vs tinker to squeeze the last bit out of it.

As far as speed is concerned, it takes a bit to get an 800 to run with a stock 1200. IMHO if you want a faster boat, just buy a faster boat.

Tell us exactly what you will be doing with this craft 90-95% of the time or just exactly how and where you will ride and we can help you set it up. Anything else is just a waste.

i ride rivers and lakes. i am in chicagoland area so maybe once or twice i will run on the lake michigan.. besides that i am lakes and rivers.... im not in for the speed. well maybe some times. i mostly cruise...but i worry im gonna blow my motor constantly redlining it. back and forth on the river... i do hit some wakes from boats but not much.. the lakes liek the chain is choppy during the season... the river somewhat..... i just got my waveeater clips so i got that little insurance. im not a tuner at all. i run alone. i sometimes. get curious and run on the river to the point of i need to get off cause i hit to shallow.. and i worry if i get a bigger intake grate i will suck up pebbles/rock's...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffmanestates View Post
    i mostly cruise...but i worry im gonna blow my motor constantly redlining it. back and forth on the river...
    Get a machined ride plate, It will get you on plane quicker and you will gain around 3+ mph on top depending on how well you set it up. If that doesn't do it do you it sounds like you need a to upgrade to a 12/13r.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffmanestates View Post
    i have a 03 gpr800 with 19hrs on it to this day. i was looking around and seen reed stuffers, wave eater clips,peice of "exhaust tubing" ride plates,intake grates water box,all aftermarket. what can i do to give me a little umf beside being stock? is there a "bad" way to mode this ski? or if i do this im gonna fubar the motor on the first run... i am not looking for racing i am a granny at running my ski. any help would be usefull thanks again. if need be the highest pump octane i have in IL is 93 shell,bp
    Welcome to the forum!

I would look at doing some modifications that will make it reliable first, then look at performance.
    You can get a lot of performance just from the stock components!

First off, buy a engine compression gauge. This will give you a baseline of your motors health and keep track of these numbers thru the season about every 10-20 hours. "rule of thumb:an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure." When it comes to two-strokes, you need to stay on top of the engines health on a regular basis in oder to give you reliable performance. Don't take for granted of just riding it. Take care of it.
    wave eater clips help prevent the powervalve from dropping and causing damage.
    I would look at at an aftermarket intake grate for better hookup in the rough which will give you a little better bite too. aftermarket rideplates are always good for a little speed if they are customized for what you are looking for.
    Jims Performance modifies aftermarket ride plates and typically gives 1-3mph+ on the top end in flat water conditions due to the increase angle he machines them for.
    If you have mostly rough water conditions where you are at, the stock rideplate offers the best hookup. Keep it if the water conditions are ever rough where you are at.
    Stepping the sponsons give a nice compromise to handling and speed.

For a craft thats 8 years old, I would also inspect the rubber driveshaft boot. Replace it with a gate 1-1/2" hose which is stronger
    Add a bilge pump. Rule makes good pumps. In the event you might have a water line come off or a leak of some sort, this will help buy you time. Now, if there is a catastrophic leak, you need to head to the nearest shore.
    Inspect all your fuel lines, and oil lines. As for oil lines, I would install new clamps. This is one of the most common failures of two-stroke water craft, is the oil line coming off and destruction of that cylinder/motor occurs. INSPECT THOSE OIL LINES.

You can find all these topics I mentioned utilizing the advanced search option on the forum.

As for the pump area, you need to seal the pump shoe and/or add pump seal kit. These are little rubber plugs that fill the voids of the pump shoe to help reduce cavitation. Sealing it completely with 3M 4200 will ensure a good seal and help the driveline transfer all the water with relates to more "ooomph" you are looking for. Invest in an aftermarket tachomenter also. any changes you do the motor and skis handling all affect engine RPM due to less or more drag, or less or more power being added.

Another nice addition of more "oomph" is the jetworks mod on your exhaust. this is a must do on any GPR, 800 or 1200. It allows the water box to be dry at rpms below 2800-3200 to give you a better holeshot. At rpms above 2800-3200, water is then re-injected to give you the backpressure and cooling the exhaust system needs for performance.

check the How-To section of the forum as there are a lot of GPR tips and mods that help increase the reliability of your craft to give you hours of enjoyment. Also, look into purchasing a service manual for your craft. They can be bought from boats.net, ebay, ect....just google it. this service manual is invaluable for the maintenance and upkeep of your ski. and, ask questions! there are many knowledgable people here on the forum ready and willing to help assist you just as they replied above!

If you choose to dig a little deeper in the engine, increasing the compression, adding aftermarket reeds and rejetting the carbs and removing the stock air box assembly will give you more power. With added power comes the need for an aftermarket impeller to help transfer the power better with a different pitch. Just depends on how far you want to go with this. Another rule of thumb, you don't need higher octane gas on a stock compression motor. With increased compression, you then need to use higher octane.

I'm sure there are are little stuff I missed, but you get the point and dig deep, ask questions, search search search.....the answer are all there and one positive thing, you are saving money doing it all yourself. The research has been done already and posted, just need to dig it up put it to use.

Speed increase doesn't end, its typically the flow of money

Thread Information