Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question other than yamacool what kind of antifreeze

not sure about this winterizing thing, some say blow out using air compressor with low psi others say flush with antifreeze, riva recomends flushing with antifrieeze but no where do they tell you how to introduce the afreeze,

question is besides yamacool does anyone know of another brand to use in a yamaha fzr?
    my ski is not like a sea doo with a closed radiator type cooling system

Quote Originally Posted by peterj59 View Post
    not sure about this winterizing thing, some say blow out using air compressor with low psi others say flush with antifreeze, riva recomends flushing with antifrieeze but no where do they tell you how to introduce the afreeze,

question is besides yamacool does anyone know of another brand to use in a yamaha fzr?
    my ski is not like a sea doo with a closed radiator type cooling system
    If you want to flush, use pink RV anti-freeze. It's $3 a gallon and you can use two/three bottles. Use a 5 gallon bucket with a hose connection on it and a small hose. Use the connector into your flush port. It's pretty simple to do and cheap insurance.

The RV anti-freeze does not protect the engine from corrosion like an automotive antifreeze.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    The RV anti-freeze does not protect the engine from corrosion like an automotive antifreeze.
    Fogging the engine should handle corrosion.

Start engine blow out the water from the cooling system. Repeat a few times, if really worried hook up to vehicle drive around some curvy roads between restarts. Fog the engine on the last blow out. Put the battery on a smart charger. Cover the ski and dream of riding when the ice breaks on the lake next summer. Use the air compressor to fill the tires next spring. Sure it will not hurt the ski to put antifreeze in it. Not needed though. All components are designed to allow residual water to freeze and not break anything. Yami has been doing this since the first waverunner 500.

The doos still have a open loop exhaust system. I Dont know about how to winterize them.

If you prefer antifreeze. Use one that states it will not make aluminum corrode.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Most RV antifreeze have rust inhibitor. People have been using these products in boat engines for years with no issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TennR600 View Post
    Start engine blow out the water from the cooling system. Repeat a few times, if really worried hook up to vehicle drive around some curvy roads between restarts. Fog the engine on the last blow out. Put the battery on a smart charger. Cover the ski and dream of riding when the ice breaks on the lake next summer. Use the air compressor to fill the tires next spring. Sure it will not hurt the ski to put antifreeze in it. Not needed though. All components are designed to allow residual water to freeze and not break anything. Yami has been doing this since the first waverunner 500.

The doos still have a open loop exhaust system. I Dont know about how to winterize them.

If you prefer antifreeze. Use one that states it will not make aluminum corrode.

R
    I'd read Tommy's thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141403

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Fogging the engine should handle corrosion.
    Fogging coats/protection the upper cylinder area. Aluminum is prone to corrosion, especially the cooling system, therefore, if you use antifreeze, the automotive type will protect the water jackets and cooling system. We are discussing apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolmc View Post
    Most RV antifreeze have rust inhibitor. People have been using these products in boat engines for years with no issues.
    Rust inhibitors and anti-corrsion protection are two different ends of the spectrum - not the same. You have to be especially careful will aluminum, that is why the red automotive such as Dexcool is the correct product, especially for aluminum. At one time the automotive anti-freeze was strictly just that, it kept the cooling system from freezing, today it is more about eliminating corrosion.

Lastly, most boat engines are cast iron, not aluminum.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I always used RV antifreeze to protect me from freezing.....I have pets dont like having poison dripping from my ski even after putting it in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information