Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 xl800 remove carbs

I am trying to take the carbs off to rebuild them. I am trying to remove the exhaust to get at the carbs. I thought I could just remove the exhaust over the carbs but I can't get it off.
    What do I need to remove?

+1
    i would think its the same as my 2000

1-i take off the rubber exhaust couplings
    2-the 2 bolts down near the bottom of the cylinders on the carb side
    3-the 4 bolts ontop of the cylinder heads that have the lifting eyes in them you might have to loosen the nut where the lifting eye mounts to the pipe
    4-theres another mount down by the outlet of the pipe with a long bolt and a short one
    5-the hose clamp at the end of the pipe on the rubber coupler to the muffler
    6-the cooling hose by the remote grease port for the intermediate housing
    7-unbolt thermo switch

i have to tip mine up in front a kind of rotate it out of the muffler coupling but the hole pipe does come out

+1
    The exhaust comes fairly easy as long as you get all the bolts out. and the exhaust boot clamps let us know what you have pulled so far.

I have the exhaust removed. I removed the gas lines and four long bolts but I cant get the carbs off.
    Do I need to remove the plate that their on?
    There are two bolts between the carbs that look like I need a allen wrench do I need to remove them?

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    Yes you need to remove those. The carbs are attached to that plate and come off together. Once the plate is removed there are two bolts for each carb holding them to that plate.

+1
    the caps on the allen bolts help hold it to the allen bit,while your in there i would repalce the oil lines for the oil injection i use tygon tubing,metal tabed zip ties and take the pump off and run it with an eletric drill to bleed the system again unless your running it on premix

I can't get gas to the carbs 2001 xl800.

Quote Originally Posted by redneck71 View Post
    the caps on the allen bolts help hold it to the allen bit,while your in there i would repalce the oil lines for the oil injection i use tygon tubing,metal tabed zip ties and take the pump off and run it with an eletric drill to bleed the system again unless your running it on premix
    I rebuilt the carbs they were all gummed up. I can't get the gas to flow thru the tank.
    The lines are all good. I took the fuel cock off and blew thru it. Gas filter is good.
    what is the problem?

+1
    The pick up in the tank might be gummed up also if the carbs where that bad,if you have or get a outboard primer bulb there handy to see if gas will flow

Sean

2000 XL800
    2000 GP800

On the pickup I blow thru the hoses from the fuel Cock and I here the bubbles in the tank.
    ON the primer bulb I am not familiar with that does it install on the gas line infront of the carb?

+1
    The primer bulbs are used on the outboards to prime the fuel system,i have one i use from my outboard days you could use it to test the fuel flow i worked for me on a 95 seadoo gtx that had a problem with the fuel selector,they make them with smaller fittings 1/4" or you can adapt it to work with the size hose you have,marine stores carry these

http://www.moellermarine.com/afterma.../primer_bulbs/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information