Primer Plunger Rebuild

Sorry this took so long,

1. first gather up some tools,you can use just about anything that looks or works like these,I just have used these for years.

2.this is the plunger type primer that a lot of people use

3.first step is to seperate the check valve section, it is easy, it doesnt screw on it is pushed on, start by putting a pipe wrench on the barrel and the vise grips on the end, twist and it will come right off,set this aside, unless it is damaged, it usually isnt

4.Now it is time to get the black cap off, take the crescent wrench open it just enough to slid over the black top near the shaft ,but not real tight, cover the shaft with tape, then pull out the plunger it will try and snap back, put the pliers ,(loose) around the shft so it will slide, then have someone tap the crescent with a hammer, the black part will pop right off,actually it will fly off, and you have to chase it sometimes, the shaft is barbed, look at the picture ,as you tap you will see the cap comoing off of the shaft.

5 after the cap is off you will se that plunger comes right out, tpay attention how the spring goes, it has a small side and a large side,the picture shows the correct way

6.remove the "o-ring", this is the culprit making your plunger not work, you can get these anywhere ,look for Viton , if you cant find one the rubber that comes standard will last about 2 years or more,put on a new one

7.Put everthing back together, and stand it on a strong table, put a center punch inside on the end of the plunger, it has a dimple made for this, have the cap on the end of the barb, tap it down till the cap pops back on

8.when putting on the check valve end,you need your vise grip pliers opened up to clear the inlet and outlet tube fittings, and tap on them to put it bacl on, you can put a small amount of silicone around it but there isnt any when you take it off, and mine never leaked, but it is up to you.

9.IMPORTANT...MAKE SURE OF YOUR HOSES GOING BACK ON MANY HAVE BEEN FOOLED AFTER REMOVING THEM,..THE CENTER IS THE OUTLET THE FITTING THAT IS BENT OUT IS THE SUCTION...I hope this helps somebody, it is not the most expensive part but if you are about to go to the water it really is a quick fix.,,let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-014F.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	13463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	13464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	13465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-003F.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	13466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	13467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-005F.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	13468  

Last edited by RX951; 01-02-2007 at 01:59 PM.

+1
    Excellent Post. Thanks for posting this after I just bought one

Sorry bud, you know I am slow.here is the rest of the pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-006F.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	13469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-009F.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	13470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-013F.JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	13471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-011F.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	13472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-012F.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	13473  

+1
    Thanks for the tip. They get expensive after a while. 4 boats
    times 4 or 5 primers in a few years and that will get to ya!

+1
    Thanks for the info, exactly the kind of useful stuff I need for winter project. I've had these crap out too often, no fun pulling plugs pouring gas into cylinder to get boat started

I just had 2 fail at the same time in 112 degree heat! so I decided to do the rebuild ! And I must say what a crappy piece this is! it's built to fail and not meant to be serviceable! it's the same one Riva and all the others sell! I'm sure it's a 4 dollar part at best
    If the knob was screwed on and had a set screw and the base was threaded , you could fix these all day long! but the reason they fail is there is no secondary seal at the plunger shaft so the cylinder fills with outside elements or frigging water (Hello Riva it's a PWC) and ruins the bore .

We deserve better!OH and the bulb style cant weather the uv rays

My plunger has suction, but when I pump it the fuel just goes back and forth in the inlet tube running from the angled terminal of the plunger to the T in the reserve line. Could this be the check valve? If I pump it real hard and fast then after like 20 pumps it will finally start working lol. How to fix check valve?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcanavi View Post
    My plunger has suction, but when I pump it the fuel just goes back and forth in the inlet tube running from the angled terminal of the plunger to the T in the reserve line. Could this be the check valve? If I pump it real hard and fast then after like 20 pumps it will finally start working lol. How to fix check valve?
    Mine starting doing this too and the thing wasn't even 4 months old. So I decided to try to figure it out. I used this guide to remove the check valve end. There is a rubber dished shaped seal and under it is a little check ball and spring. The check ball seals against the underside of the rubber dish seal.
    To fix my check valve I just pulled the rubber dish seal, the ball and the spring. I looked it over and could see why it wouldn't work so I put it all back together and tested it. Now it works fine. I think the ball might have been stuck off the side of the spring or seal and wasn't sealing before. next time it happens I think I might try to stick a needle or pin down the center hose barb and push the check ball around and reseat it.
    Hope this info helps someone down the road

Thread Information