Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2001 XP 951cc falling flat on its face after rework...

I'm new to PWCs, and recently purchase a set of 2001 Seadoos... I knew both needed work, but turned out more than expected... Here's what I did on the XP so far:

• Replaced all grey fuel lines with proper 1/4" and 5/16" fuel lines, making sure to match up and cut each line sequentially. All clamps replaced with stainless steel. No zip ties. Replaced "T" lines as well on backside of cabs for fuel pump.
    • Cleaned fuel petcock thoroughly
    • Cleaned RAVE valves. (totally covered in black carbon buildup) Dialed the red part almost all the way in, as others had suggested. (brought the water box valve flush to top to balance, also as suggested) Made sure they are installed to original cylinder, and right side up
    • Full carb teardown/rebuild with brand new gasket kits, making sure to re-use the stock springs to retain pop off pressure
    • Cleaned fuel pump - gaskets looked okay
    • Cleaned reed valves. No chips/cracks visible. Seated properly against housing.
    • Converted to premix with block off
    It idles a little rough on trailer and in the water, but sounds like a 2 stroke with a little "popping" here and there.... Literally jumps out of the water when you gas it... (I was shocked - I'm new to PWCs) but then falls flat on it's face within 2-3 seconds, as though its starved for fuel. I say starved because if I pump/feather the throttle, it keeps going, but difficult to keep up. (almost like the fuel pump off the PTO is spitting enough fuel in to keep running) Anything above 1/3 throttle, and it just dies.

Low speed screw dialed out about 1.5 turns. High Speed screw set to 0, as Seadoo manual indicates. I opened high speed screw out 1/4, and it seemed worse.

Looking for some advice as to where to go. Is it leaning out, like air in the line? Large fuel filter/water separator doesn't get air in it after WOT, so don't think it's O-ring there. Just can't figure out why it's starving. Switching to RES makes no difference.
    Last edited by MacAddict; 10-19-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: changed mag to PTO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAddict View Post
    I'm new to PWCs, and recently purchase a set of 2001 Seadoos... I knew both needed work, but turned out more than expected... Here's what I did on the XP so far:

• Replaced all grey fuel lines with proper 1/4" and 5/16" fuel lines, making sure to match up and cut each line sequentially. All clamps replaced with stainless steel. No zip ties. Replaced "T" lines as well on backside of cabs for fuel pump.
    • Cleaned fuel petcock thoroughly
    • Cleaned RAVE valves. (totally covered in black carbon buildup) Dialed the red part almost all the way in, as others had suggested. (brought the water box valve flush to top to balance, also as suggested) Made sure they are installed to original cylinder, and right side up
    • Full carb teardown/rebuild with brand new gasket kits, making sure to re-use the stock springs to retain pop off pressure
    • Cleaned fuel pump - gaskets looked okay
    • Cleaned reed valves. No chips/cracks visible. Seated properly against housing.
    • Converted to premix with block off
    It idles a little rough on trailer and in the water, but sounds like a 2 stroke with a little "popping" here and there.... Literally jumps out of the water when you gas it... (I was shocked - I'm new to PWCs) but then falls flat on it's face within 2-3 seconds, as though its starved for fuel. I say starved because if I pump/feather the throttle, it keeps going, but difficult to keep up. (almost like the fuel pump off the PTO is spitting enough fuel in to keep running) Anything above 1/3 throttle, and it just dies.

Low speed screw dialed out about 1.5 turns. High Speed screw set to 0, as Seadoo manual indicates. I opened high speed screw out 1/4, and it seemed worse.

Looking for some advice as to where to go. Is it leaning out, like air in the line? Large fuel filter/water separator doesn't get air in it after WOT, so don't think it's O-ring there. Just can't figure out why it's starving. Switching to RES makes no difference.
    You got a good start on things. Did you check or clean the gas tank and pick up tube? The tank in the XPL is a PITA to remove. If you did not check the tank for crud/crap/dirt/sand etc. All it takes is a teaspoon of $hit to clog up the carbs again. I recommend to check the tank and pick up tube, if dirty pull carbs and clean again.

Have you cleaned the fuel selector switch? BIG thing to check on these.

Also what was your pop off on the carbs? Another thing to check is for water on the plugs. They are known to leak at the head pipe to manifold and water plus gas = No good =D

+1
    Thanks for your continued help... I am looking into the gas tank today, as I did not pull the whole thing out, although i did drain fully and replace with new premixed fuel. Will check pick up lines as well.

I did, however, fully clean and lubricate the fuel petcock. Was able to blow through it without any resistance on both res and primary.

I did not actually "check" the pop off pressure, as I used the stock springs, (and not kit springs) and assumed it would remain the same. I did, however, make slight adjustments to bring the level flush with the base of the seat, and not the carb base, as was indicated.

I haven't noticed water on the plugs, and DO plan to do a full top end rebuild on this ski, but was wanting to solve this fuel delivery issue first. No sense rebuilding the top end if the issue causes the same issue with the new rebuild.

Thanks for your guidance... will check back in later today with my findings.

+1
    When you gun it and it starts to fall off, ease the choke out and see if it takes off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAddict View Post
    I did, however, make slight adjustments to bring the level flush with the base of the seat, and not the carb base, as was indicated.
    Recheck your pop off. Sounds like you bent the arm and increased the pop off.

+1
    Yeah... will check pop off, but I was really specific about bending the tab and not the arm...

And thanks mouse... I didn't even think to juice the intake with the choke while throttled...

Thanks for your replies... will report back as I know more...

Not sure if anyone said this.. But pop off?

+1
    Okay... so pulled the carbs yet again and did full pop off pressure test (after building my own gauge from others' tutorials online) and POP was within expected range. Tested 5 times, each time wetting the needle with roughly the same result.

I also went ahead and pull the lines @ the tank, and pulled the whole pick up assembly. Strangley is was clean as a whistle, and the float traveled without issue. There wasn't a single bit of schmuck in the screen, which i thought was strange. I also re-pulled the fuel petcock and recleaned, then testing flowthrough with some pressurized air. All good there.

Sooooo... I guess I need to get it back on the water for some in water tests (like pulling choke out)... but getting chilly here in Jacksonville already.... Need this baby running right for my trip to the Florida Keys in 2 weeks though... Will really be upset if it isn't running right...

If anyone else has suggestions as to why else it might fall on it's face, I welcome any suggestions... Thanks again....

+1
    As someone mentioned, could be the head pipe to manifold seal leaking, the spark plugs would be very white or you may see moisture on them after the engine cools. Also could be a bad rectifier, check the voltage while running. Sometimes they bleed ac voltage through and it produces simmilar symptoms by scrambling the electronics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information